Chinese-Forums

Stir-fry Chinese greens with ham 苦菜火腿炒饭

abcdefg

I used to cook often for my family when I was very young. And I made really good fried rice. When I did fried rice, everyone at the table wanted it and almost nobody wanted the freshly cooked white rice.  I cooked the most basic type, eggs, spring onion, sometimes some ham (not Chinese ham), leftover rice from the fridge, and salt and oil. I stir-fried the ingredients until the rice jumped in the wok. When the rice dances and jumps, it means it is dry enough and the dish is ready to serve.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:57 PM, skylee said:

I stir-fried the ingredients until the rice jumped in the wok. When the rice dances and jumps, it means it is dry enough and the dish is ready to serve.

I'm interested in your method, Skylee. Could you expand on it a bit. What went into the pan first? The rice or the other things?

First pour in all the beated egg (with salt added) and spread it on the wok. When it is half cooked, add the rice and stir-fry. Then add the chopped ham, if there is any. Use the 鑊鏟 to stir and cut the ingredients.The spring onion goes in last.  It was supposed to be a very simple 蛋炒飯 to use up the leftover rice, so even the spring onion was optional.  It was not supposed to be an everyday dish because 1) there had to be enough leftover rice for everyone, and 2) it was 熱氣.

• Like 2

Thanks, Skylee. I understand now.

When you say it was 热气, do you just mean the weather was too hot to cook often, or is this something to do with the TCM properties of the dish, such as that it produced excess internal heat? 

And, with tongue in cheek now I would also respectfully ask about the tool you used. 

1 hour ago, skylee said:

Use the 鑊鏟 to stir and cut the ingredients.

Is this another name for 锅铲, or was it a typo? I am truly grateful and deeply in debt to you for helping me find and correct hundreds of typos in my early cooking posts. 

For wok, you use 鍋, I use 鑊 (which is really where the word "wok" came from. There is no k-ending in Mandarin, you see.). I do not care much about terms used in Mainland China now.

As to 熱氣, as I said I would fry it till the rice danced and jumped, which means I would fry it for a long time. Food cooked this way (food fried till it's crispy and dry) is usually considered to be carrying too much heat and not so healthy.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...