Chinese-Forums

Why does 京 as a sound component seem to suggest the pronunciation 'liang' in a number of characters?

lechuan

I noticed that 京 seems to be a sound component in a number of characters pronounced liang.

For example: 凉 晾 谅 椋 涼 綡 辌

Does anyone know if this character may have once been pronounced liang? Or any reason for this pattern? 

@realmayo Thanks! Didn't realize Wenlin had that kind of information in there. I tried out Wenlin when I picked it up as part of the Cantonese kickstarter, but the Windows 95 interface made it frustrating to use; I'll give it another go.

@OneEye Fascinating! I previously was using Heisig for character learning, which pretty much ignored all pronunciation and sound components, so it's fascinating to find the extra information present in today's character. Looking forward to the first cut of Outlier and how the data could be used for mainstream learning tools (ie. as a value-add plugin for flashcard programs (ie. Anki, Skritter), a "Learn Chinese Characters" book (similar to McNaughton's), as part of the Character tab in "Pleco", etc).

• Like 1

Wenlin lets you click on a link to see a list of all characters which use whatever character you're looking at as a component. I found that really helpful when learning the characters: every time I learned a new character I'd check to see if there were any common ones I could learn that used it as a component.

• Like 1

Coincidentally I made a similar observation last night.  I had been looking for cold noodles and came across a restaurant advertising 凉面,凉皮 and thought it should be 'jing mian' 'jing pi' until I checked Pleco.  In fact the 凉皮 was really good!  Most suitable as summer arrives in Suzhou.

老鬼