Chinese-Forums

PostDoc position

Daly CH

Hi , 

I get an offer from the University of Shenyang (salary about 90000 rmb in year) and they will pay also the apartment cost.

But, my problem is that the University want that I sent by post:

1.     Original certification of degree of doctor;

2.     Original passport;

They want the original passeport to prepare the official invitation and after 2 months they will send me my documents with the invitation.

I replay that I can only sent a copy from my passeport and I don't why they want the original one ?

Please help me ? what I can do in this situation?

Here's another thread dealing with how to get your diploma authenticated as part of a job application/academic appointment. Maybe someone there can help you with advice.

"... They also said that they will photocopy my original, authenticated Master's diploma, and keep a copy for their records, so I won't have to surrender the original document to them."

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/53982-urgent-visa-help-authentication-of-diploma-for-work-permit-in-china/#comment-415666

As to sending your original passport across the seas to China to let complete strangers do anything they wish with it for a period of two months, I'm not sure anything needs to be said about the advisability of that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abcdefg said:

As to sending your original passport across the seas to China to let complete strangers do anything they wish with it for a period of two months, I'm not sure anything needs to be said about the advisability of that.

What could possibly go wrong!?!?

8)

• Like 1

Rule of thumb with China, avoid giving up your passport to your employer. Too many stories of employers holding a passport captive to force the employee to do something or work overtime or accept less money or no money or stay longer, etc.

Ask if a notarized copy will work

公证 ɡōnɡzhènɡ 

notarize

[合同/契约/遗嘱] 进行公证

notarize a contract/deed/will

(From Apple's built-in dictionary)

• Like 1

Thank you everybody for your advise.

I can tell you now that I refused to send my passeport by post and they propose to send only a copy of the two first pages of my passeport stamped by the Embassy of China, I'm trying to do this.

:(

• Like 2