Chinese-Forums

城南旧事

Fred0

Hi, Ouyangjun. The edition I read is a bilingual edition published by The Chinese University Press and copyrighted by The Chinese Unversity of Hong Kong. It appears to be part of a series called Bilingual Series on Modern Chinese LIterature. The Chinese is in traditional characters. It does not have the book 北平菇思 included. The camel story, which your edition includes at the end, is the opening story in my edition. It appears to be an intnroduction to the rest of the book, so it's odd that your edition puts it at the end. I gues at the end it functions as an epilogue. I will check out 北平故思。

Hi @Fred0Interesting that the camel story is reversed... I'm guessing that depending on the publisher of the book they are taking some liberties on editing.  I searched on Baidu Baike, and it doesn't mention anything of the 北平 book, so it might only be included in the edition that I purchased.  It looks like my version was published in 2015 and has the ISBN: 9787533671532.  

On Ximalaya there is a good audio version of 城南旧事 (and its free).  It is broken down into 15 chapters.  The production quality is good and pronunciation is clear.  Definitely a good tool to supplement the reading.  

http://www.ximalaya.com/25572713/album/3415316

• Like 1

There is also a movie filmed in 1983. It's quite a good film even if tending towards the melodramatic it won several international awards at the time. The reconstructions of old Beiping are lovely and the acting is fairly good - the little girl is perhaps too cute for my taste. I haven't been able to find a subtitled version in Chinese or English, when it was shown on TV in Britain it had English subtitles, there must be an srt file somewhere. Anyway, the dialogue is quite simple and clear, and a lot of it is free of background music. 

There are several copies in You Tube, here's one with fairly good resolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICoRaua84pk&t=109s

I'm sure it can be found in Youku and other sites available in China.

• Like 1