Chinese-Forums

Best IME for Mac?

RogerGe

I've always used Mac's default Chinese IME, and I asked one of my Chinese schoolmates why they didn't use the default one, he told me it's really bad. However, he already left the school, so I have no way to ask him what he was using. So, what Chinese IME would you recommend for Mac?

When I select the disk where I want to install IMKQIM, it says:
'IMKQIM SogouDict 1.8.3 1B320 can't be installed on this disk. This software running on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and later.'

I am running OS X El Capital, 10.11.6 - is this too new for it? I don't understand what the installation program is telling me.

What's particularly good about IMKQIM @OneEye? It probably was significantly better than Mac OS's and OSX's native IME 10 years ago, but what are its advantages now?

PS Perhaps still running an old OSX version creates the problem for you, I like the pinyin IME in Sierra. IIRC El Capitan's was ok too.

I just checked the builtin IME now, and here's one really frustrating thing.  When you type a full-stop it doesn't output the Chinese, and then if you start typing a new sentence without pressing space it outputs the pinyin of everything.

Personally, I use WBIM but that's a wubi input method so probably isn't suitable for most people.

6 minutes ago, imron said:

When you type a full-stop it doesn't output the Chinese

"It" - native? Yup that's my only minor whinge re native IME. I don't type that much tho, (really pecking hah) and my recommendation wasn't specifically for high-speed typing, but for "less looking around for correct characters that have the same pinyin." In fact, using native OSX IME is a good cheat for me - if I type a reasonably long sentence (say 5+ chars) and it doesn't get it exactly right, I'm either doing something weird grammatically or using wrong words :) 

Well, I admittedly haven't tried the built-in IME extensively in a few years. When I installed Yosemite, I guess. But I worked on another computer for about two weeks a few months ago though, and found the native IME (Sierra) annoying. Could just be due to the fact that I'm used to IMKQIM now, but since OP is also unsatisfied with the native IME, I'd say IMKQIM is worth trying if possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneEye said:

since OP is also unsatisfied with the native IME

He seems to be satisfied, and tries to figure out why his past Chinese schoolmate (who must have been typing in Chinese quite a bit - just a guess :D) told him it's bad. @imron did point out a few annoyances when one uses it extensively, plus it must have been a few years ago.

I recently had a Chinese friend of mine move from some junky Windows laptop to an OSX one and haven't heard anything from him re IME. He's a massive iPhone user, though - with pinyin keyboard.