Chinese-Forums

朱熹's commentary on Analects 5.13

somethingfunny

Given the lively discussion from the last post I made and the fact that I still don't have much experience with Confucius or Zhu Xi's commentary, I thought I'd post another one and see what people think:

子貢曰:「夫子之文章,可得而聞也;夫子之言性與天道,不可得而聞也。」

文章,德之見乎外者,威儀文辭皆是也。性者,人所受之天理;天道者,天理自然之本體,其實一理也。言夫子之文章,日見乎外,固學者所共聞;至於性與天道,則夫子罕言之,而學者有不得聞者。蓋聖門教不躐等,子貢至是始得聞之,而歎其美也。程子曰:「此子貢聞夫子之至論而歎美之言也。」

The punctuation removes a lot of the mystery from this passage, but there are still a couple of interesting points:

1. 夫子之言性與天道 - This is just a straightforward "Confucius' words on 性 and 天道..." I think.
  2. In the line "性者,人所受之天理", I believe we are talking about two technical neo-Confucian concepts: 性 and 天理, and that the former is the reception of the latter (or: "(Human) nature, this is the heavenly principle which people receive").  I assume that the place where people receive this is from 天 itself.
  3. 天道者,天理自然之本體,其實一理也 - the first part of this line is too technical (I know how to read it, but I don't know what any of the terms are actually about).  The 其 however is a little strange - I assume it refers back to 天道 and is stating that "in reality, 天道 is one principle"??
  4. 固學者所共聞 - I don't know how to read this adverb - verb - nominalisation combo at the start of this sentence.