Chinese-Forums

Can't ignore users

werewitt

22 minutes ago, roddy said:

you're not meant to be able to ignore anyone.

I would prefer the ignore feature to be kept. It just minimized the posts of the person you ignore. You can expand any post individually without un-ignoring the person. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roddy said:

Hmm, you're not meant to be able to ignore anyone.

and so it should be, in keeping with the spirit of this forum it should not be wanted or needed.

You don't have to read something.

Easy for you, maybe.

Not so easy for me - I scroll and skim and before I know it I'm getting annoyed because I get stuck on a sentence or word from someone whose opinions routinely exasperate me.

The ignore list helps and it doesn't hurt anything (the person whose posts are minimized is not aware of it, so no hurt feelings.)

If someone on my ignore list answers a thread I started, it's simple enough to click and display their comment so that I can thank them for answering - assuming they're being nice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roddy said:

Hmm, you're not meant to be able to ignore anyone. So that's working fine. 

The menu options shouldn't be there though, will look into that. 

The weird thing is That he is being ignored, so it isn't working fine.

As for the ignore function, In some forums it is very useful. Here, I've never felt the need to use it, but to each their own. I'd hazard a guess that if someone really wants to ignore someone, it is better for everyone that they be allowed not to see said person's posts.

9 hours ago, Shelley said:

If you don't want to read posts from X, you just avoid their posts. It has their name on it, easy to avoid, its not like it is camouflaged.:P

As I described, the ignore feature is nice because it just reverses this process. I like that because I can focus my time on posts that are worth reading. If a response needs the context of the ignored user's posts, I can simply expand it. 

Do I need it often? No. 

Yeah, I'm not one for ignoring opinions I disagree with, but sometimes a certain user's answers can just hit a certain nerve with people. I know that over on the Koohii forums, there's one user who's always extremely smart mouthed and aggressive, and gives low quality content. It would be better for the forum as a whole if I didn't see that person's posts unless necessary, and an ignore feature helps with that.

Don't like ignore features that simply disappear a user, but if it minimises their response so you can expand it if you need, this is a good feature.

Hope to see werewitt's issue resolved, since it's perfectly likely that two different people will be interested in a mutual ignore. And I think this kind of ignore is more likely to raise the quality of posting, not lower it.

I think just so long as you have to go through a couple menu ootions, you won't get too many people doing hot headed ignores 

17 hours ago, roddy said:

Hmm, you're not meant to be able to ignore anyone. So that's working fine. 

Thanks for turning that off, I can't add anyone to the ignore list anymore, on this or other accounts. A proof that the ignore function was turned on until today is attached ;)

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 2.35.34 pm.PNG