Chinese-Forums

Why a brainiac with 0 external stimuli would study chinese?

werewitt

2 hours ago, werewitt said:

what was your motivation @imron?

I always wanted to learn another language.  After graduating university I spent a few months travelling around different language regions in Europe and came to the conclusion I wanted to learn something completely different from English.

I wound up in London for a time, and decided to sign up to night classes in Chinese. Originally I had wanted to learn Cantonese due to an interest in martial arts, but I couldn't find any Cantonese classes so signed up for Mandarin instead.

The notice board outside the classroom had an advertisement for teaching English in China, and I thought why not? And the rest is history. 

Over the next 16 years motivation came and went in cycles, and that's when I realised the importance of replacing motivation with discipline and habit instead.

While I don't get an intellectual joy out of knowing Chinese I do get immense satisfaction from reading Chinese novels in their original form and in interactions with friends that I wouldn't be able to have if I didn't speak Chinese. 

• Like 3