Chinese-Forums

不但为其所轻,吾恐其疑将加甚焉。translation

Blake123456

• New Members

I am stuck with the translation of the following phrase from 辨状类阳虎及弹琴解甲之说. (classical chinese) Can someone help me? Any help is greatly appreciated:)

不但为其所轻,吾恐其疑将加甚焉。

• New Members

Sure:)  The rest of the story is about how the writer believes some stories don’t add up, especially the story about Confucius and how he is mistaken to be Yang Hu. Confucius is arrested. Here the writer starts mentioning what does not add up in this story.

孔子既欲适陈则适陈耳,必不中道而返,又居卫月馀而後始适陈也。灵公既不召孔子,孔子无故去而复返,不但为其所轻,吾恐其疑将加甚焉。然则孔子果以适陈之故过匡,当在後日去卫过宋之时,不得云自匡返卫而後去也。故附次於过宋之後,而凡《世家》、《家语》之文概不载焉

Seems to be from 清・崔述《考信錄》 http://ctext.org/wiki.pl?if=gb&chapter=729184#p38

靈公既不召孔子,孔子無故去而複返,不但為其所輕,吾恐其疑將加甚焉。

這裡是說:衛靈公聽信讒言,不用孔子,反而派人監視,孔子才決定離開衛國。如今無故去而復返,不但會被靈公輕視,我恐怕靈公的疑心也會大大加重吧。

It refers to a passage from 《史記・孔子世家》:

https://books.google.nl/books?id=sk5GDQAAQBAJ&pg=PT703&lpg=PT703&dq=或譖孔子於衛靈公,孔子去衛&source=bl&ots=kNGTCjGn4X&sig=i3RLZlXA44SQHUEjXk_p-WjdcRM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_nIjut6bUAhVGKFAKHVR0AvkQ6AEILTAB#v=onepage&q=或譖孔子於衛靈公,孔子去衛&f=false

Cui didn't quote it in entirety. The story was well known to his contemporaries but less so to a modern/foreign reader. Hence the trouble I guess.

• 1 month later...

My first guess is : "Not only will he (Confucius) be despised by him (Duke Ling), but also, I fear that his suspicion (referring to Duke Ling) towards him (Confucius) will increase considerably."

Best regards