Chinese-Forums

Residence

Homni

Hello All,

I will be moving to shanghai to study at SJTU this september for a MSc in Finance.

I just saw that the chinese government requires to register the residence, which implies asking the landlord to do some paperwork.

My question is: I will be living with family friends (rent free), this results in no paperwork or exchange of money. How can I register my accommodation? Is it possible to register with a letter from the owner of the apartment stating that you will be staying with them? Anyone has any idea how I need to deal with this after arrival?

Thank You,

Homn

5 hours ago, Homni said:

Anyone has any idea how I need to deal with this after arrival?

You will still need to go to the local police station (pai chu suo 派出所) with your host friends and register, even though you are living with them rent free. They will need to supply a lease document, but it can be very informal, just something written by hand will usually do. They need to show the officials their identity cards 身份证 and have the number recorded.

You need to take your passport, and a copy of its main face page plus the visa page and entry stamp, and one (sometimes two) passport-sized photos. It's required to do this registration within 24 hours of arrival. In my experience (Kunming, not Shanghai,) the best time to go is early morning, 9 or 10 a.m. before they get too busy.

It's not a big deal.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Homni said:

If they are current renting. Can they still do such lease document?

I don't understand the question. Could you rephrase it or explain what it is you want to know?

58 minutes ago, Homni said:

Sorry for the questions, but they asked me to take care of arrangements, from another country

The police registration must be done after you arrive in China. Cannot be done in advance.

@abcdefg Thanks for your replies, sorry for my english.

The police registration must be done after you arrive in China. Cannot be done in advance.

I understand, but my friends annoy me to know all the steps before i arrive, so there is no issue in the last minute.

My friends they rent the apartment where they are now. So they have a contract with their names on it, not including mine (and it will not include my name in future).

You argued that the best option is for them to do a lease for me, but since they are renting, they cant do a contract to another person.

My question is if they take the contract (that does not include my name, but include theirs). And they sign a letter saying i will live with them, would that be enough?

Essentially the process is the same, just the whose information you need changes slightly. If your friends are renting from a landlord, you would need the landlords information (as listed by ABCDEFG). It may or may not be necessary for the landlord to actually be there. However, you would need their documents. Likely a copy of the rent contract, the landlord ID card copy and proof they own the apartment. You would need to take your passport and perhaps copies of things. In Beijing you don't need photographs as they have little cameras that take your photo. 

If your friends are foreigners, they must have gone through this process. Otherwise they're living illegally. If they're Chinese, tell them to go and ask at the local police station! Must quicker and easier. There wouldn't be any surprises then. 

• Like 1