Chinese-Forums

How to brew the perfect cup of tea.

Twist

Wow, glad to know that this forum has so many excellent guides! I suggest you make sure to get the temperature right by reading the info on this forum, then simply brew with your guts! Try out different tools, and apply different steeping durations. That's the only way to learn tea :)

Of course you may have been enquiring about how to brew a good cup tea as it is done in the UK as you state your location as Hong Kong. I would think there is a lot of tea drunk in the "British style" there.

This is a subject much talked about and with many variations and handed down methods and hotly debated techniques. I always follow a few simple rules to make the "perfect" cup of tea with milk and optional sugar.

Firstly use a teapot which has been warmed, add 1 spoonful of tea leaves (usually a red/black Indian tea) per person and one for the pot. You can substituent teabags for tea leaves, same ratio. Boil the appropriate amount of water and add this to the pot just as the rolling boil subsides, it is better to not scorch the tea with absolutely boiling water. Stir the leaves once to ensure they are all immersed separately in the water, for teabags just ensure the bags are able let the tea flow freely.

Then put the lid on the pot and cover with a tea cosy Let steep, or brew which ever you wish to call it for about 4-5 minutes. Have tea cups and saucers ready and add milk to taste to each cup, my rules say always add the milk first, this is one of those points of contention, Then pour from about 6 inches (supposedly to allow air in to the tea) to fill each cup. Add sugar to taste and stir.

If you do all this near the kitchen sink then once you have had your first taste you can conveniently chuck the whole kit and caboodle down the drain and go and make a lovely cup of Chinese green tea, a flower tea or a gorgeous cup of oolong, and wonder what all the fuss is about when you have the simplicity of a good cup of chinese tea:mrgreen:

Seriously though sometimes a good strong cup of builders tea is what is called for but only sometimes:P

Of course the last paragraph is tongue in cheek, the method for making the tea is a tried and tested well used method.

What ever and however you drink your tea, I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 2

I was in Hong Kong last week and noticed an announcement for "high tea" at the Peninsula Hotel, done in the famous English style. I did not attend this time, but did a couple years ago when in the company of European friends (who were picking up the tab.) They tea was prepared and presented in fine Spode china, sterling silver spoons. They serve small delicious sandwiches and tea cakes along with the hearty brew itself. Turns out to be quite a memorable treat.

Even though I drink Chinese tea here in China 99% of the time, I agree with @Shelley that sometimes it's hard to beat a good stout kettle of Earl Gray or English Breakfast. I have mine with milk and sugar. 

The other non-Chinese tea that I enjoy sometimes is the rich sweet mint tea brewed in the Middle East. I drank lots of it one summer while doing medical research between Cairo, Alexandria and the Red Sea. Several times Bedoin tribesmen on camels stopped their procession near where we were working and insisted on making a small fire of dried twigs to brew some for us on the spot. It was an indispensable rite of Arab hospitality. One could not decline.

Also, there's definitely a place for a full-flavored Darjeeling or Ceylon. I know less about the Japanese teas than I should, but still enjoy a well-made Gyokuro or Matcha when they are offered.

• Like 1