Chinese-Forums

Quail tea eggs 鹌鹑茶叶蛋

abcdefg

10 hours ago, iekkim said:

That's such a brilliant idea to use quail eggs!!! 

By all means, @iekkim. Try them. (They aren't my original idea.) Seems to me they provide an excellent combination of rich taste (lots of flavor) as well as remaining tender throughout the cooking process. Plus they are fun to eat, one egg per bite: a handy snack.

Update: My lady friend came over this morning and gave them her thumbs up after devouring several in a row. Since she's a picky eater 挑食, that endorsement meant a lot. I served the little quail tea eggs beside some jumbo grapes and cracked walnuts. I had a mug of pu'er; made her warm milk with organic 枣花 honey.

IMG_0983.thumb.JPG.299fc5e1e9dceaf89a6f0c39f18b4d1a.JPGIMG_0987.thumb.JPG.3da09ea7cfc2b8c89dc481c2363bf10c.JPG

• Like 1

They look great, abcd! Do you attribute the success mostly to the quail eggs being smaller in size (perhaps more easily permeated by the brine) or the rice cooker? I will need to try this next time - thinking of making them against next week!

Also, crazy jealous that you can get hand ground sesame oil. 

Not sure exactly why they worked so well. I have previously made chicken eggs in the rice cooker; they acquired lots of flavor, but were tough. These quail eggs are obviously much smaller, about 5 of them weigh the same as one chicken egg. Their composition is also not quite the same: more yolk and less egg white. The shell is thinner. Plus I used vinegar in the brine, balanced with a little sugar.

593b9fb47c977_threeeggssize.thumb.JPG.e46f1ddfc76f7737e7f8f824633ffc8a.JPG   Quail egg, chicken egg, duck egg.

Today is day two in the brine (refrigerated.) Most of them are gone, but the remaining ones have so much flavor. They have improved from yesterday. I eat them after setting a few out for a short time, at approximately room temperature. I don't heat them up. Had some like that last night with cucumber spears and salted peanuts while watching the French Open on TV.

That sesame oil is a treat. The vendor makes it right there in the little stall. They sell two kinds, one light an one dark. The dark one is made with toasted sesame seeds and is loaded with flavor: quite a bit more than the oil bought in supermarkets. The lady said the secret was that they made it slow.

IMG_20170607_114235.thumb.jpg.ba356e77a8192c0ef0240300a4a8825b.jpgIMG_20170607_114234.thumb.jpg.624f93b4980a0919f4f33c75d20c097b.jpg

• Like 2

@abcdefg Sorry for the late reply, I've been away in London and then busy catching up with work. What an inspired idea to use quails' eggs! Unfortunately it doesn't seem like that's going to be an option for me as they're really quite expensive in the UK and looking at the speed at which I went through my last few batches of chicken eggs, it'd be a very expensive snack indeed haha.

I also found that vinegar and sugar just gives the mixture the right kind of kick and infuses the eggs beautifully. I'm so happy to see that we've all now found our perfect tea egg recipe - and kind of amused as to how different they all seem to be! From peeled eggs soaking to quails' eggs in the rice cooker to slow-boiled chicken eggs, we all seem to have our preferences haha. The tea egg task force has worked hard and can now enjoy the fruits (/eggs) of its labour!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jellyfish said:

I also found that vinegar and sugar just gives the mixture the right kind of kick and infuses the eggs beautifully.

Agree; it's a good trick.

I don't think I've ever seen quail eggs for sale in supermarkets in the US. But they aren't expensive here in China, so I'll enjoy them while I'm here.

It's great to have several good solutions to the question of how to make top-notch tea eggs. No need for unanimity.

The tea egg task force has worked hard and can now enjoy the fruits (/eggs) of its labour!

By all means! (But with a pained groan for that British pun.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jellyfish said:

Apologies! I work as a food (and other promotions, but mainly food) copy writer and I don't even notice when I do this anymore haha.

No need to apologize. I thought it was funny. And now I understand why you write so well!

• Like 1

Haha hardly. You don't need any writing skills to get into copy writing - all it takes is superhuman strength and enough determination not to quit (one more two for one hot dogs promotion and I might throw in the towel). But we're getting a bit off topic here... Tea eggs!