Chinese-Forums

James Brown (US Diplomat/Interpreter)

JerryG11

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has asked "Who is the white guy that's always with any US official on Chinese govt visits?"

Well, it's this guy, James Brown US Diplomat stationed in Beijing (at least his Linkedin says that)

I'm attaching a video of his translating abilities when Xi Jinping visited Obama in DC. Very impressive stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um4B6uGwXzA

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lu said:

It was reassuring to see that he has some of the same quirks as I have (saying 這個 and 那個 when hesitating, for example).

These might have been direct translations of Obama's "ahs" and "ums". :D

It might just have been because of their personalities but the Chinese - English translator seemed more confident, he seemed to speak louder and with more finesse. Almost as if he knew what was going to be said and it was prepared, I don't really think it was prepared but he had that sort of confidence.

The English - Chinese interpreter James Brown, seemed soft spoken and not very assertive. Not that this is a problem, but just wondered if this type of difference was usual in this sort of situation.

I haven't really experienced this type of thing before so I may have the wrong end of the stick completely.

1 minute ago, Shelley said:

Almost as if he knew what was going to be said and it was prepared

Usually for this sort of thing, all parties are prepared. Obama's staff has prepared notes for him: general background on China and Xi, how to pronounce Xi's name, issues to touch upon, things not to say, etc. The interpreter has those notes (perhaps even helped write them, if the interpreter is not just an interpreter but also part of the China team) and has studied them beforehand. And the same for the Chinese side, where the interpreter has the additional advantage that political communist Chinese has many set phrases for every occasion.

Meetings like this are more of a ritual than a conversation. Obama's and Xi's staffs could have just sent each other the notes for the meeting if it was about exchange of information, but it's not about that: it's about the two men meeting each other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lu said:

Interesting! I agree, good interpreter. It was reassuring to see that he has some of the same quirks as I have (saying 這個 and 那個 when hesitating, for example).

It's interesting as well to see the difference between Obama being interpreted and Xi Jinping being interpreted. Obama addresses the reporters and the room, then turns to the interpreter and listens to him (even though he doesn't understand him), even nods along occasionally. Xi addresses Obama, then keeps looking at Obama while the interpreter repeats his words - he doesn't turn to the interpreter, even though he does understand him perfectly, because the interpreter is not a participant in this meeting, just a means to facilitate it. Not sure if this was because Obama wasn't very experienced in being interpreted, or if it's a cultural difference (interpreter is person, I should listen with interest when he talks vs interpreter is facilitator, I should look with interest at my host while I speak to him through the interpreter).

I think Obama and Brown had to coordinate in some ways. If you notice when Brown turns his notepad page Obama snaps right back and starts speaking. Since Obama doesn't really know what's being said the flip of the page is the only indicator he can get when Brown is done. Otherwise there would be an awkward delay from Obama waiting to make sure Brown is done

1 hour ago, Ori_A said:

These might have been direct translations of Obama's "ahs" and "ums". :D

Yes, most likely you are right. They are trained to translate word for word. There's definitely no paraphrasing going on at all

That's why translators have come out and said how difficult Trump is because of all his Americanisms and.. other things haha

28 minutes ago, Lu said:

Usually for this sort of thing, all parties are prepared.

Yes that makes sense, i was impressed with the speed, accuracy and fluidity of the translations.

Interesting to watch the two different attitudes to the interpreters as you pointed out @Lu

3 hours ago, JerryG11 said:

Yes, most likely you are right. They are trained to translate word for word. There's definitely no paraphrasing going on at all

No, that's not how it's done. You interpret the content, not every single uhm. You can nicely see that happen when at one point in the clip, Obama says 'in the interest of the United States' and then immediately corrects himself '...the world'. The interpreter, quite correctly, translates this as 對世界的利益。 (I'm paraphrasing, don't remember the exact sentences.)

In meetings like this one, an interpreter paraphrases as little as possible. In other contexts, some paraphrasing can be fine if that helps understanding between the two sides.

• Like 1

I'm judging this off of an article I read about Trump and translating. Since they translate word for word (not my words, this coming from a professional translator) they have trouble with him. Since he uses words like "beautiful" for example to explain something that's great. The problem arises because in Chinese for example if something is great you'd say 太棒了or 很好 or something along those lines. However, if Trump were to say "It's beautiful" for example to explain something wonderful or great then what can the translator say? He can't say 就是/那个漂亮 or 美好 it wouldn't make any sense. So that's where their problem comes from because they do have to change wording 

Here's the link..

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/24/528809043/why-interpreters-have-a-hard-time-translating-trump

I think you're misunderstanding that article. Firstly, that interpreter doesn't say he has to translate 'word for word' (unless you read that somewhere else?) Secondly, he talks about challenges, not impossibilities. If Trump says 'beautiful' and he means it in the sense of 'wonderful', in my opinion you can absolutely translate that as 美好, or 了不起, or any of the other superlatives Chinese has for things that are great. Perhaps a better interpreter has even better solutions, but it's not something unsurmountable. Of course, you can't use 漂亮, because Chinese doesn't use that word in the same way as English uses 'beautiful'. Words rarely map one to one.

Similarly, Chinese probably has a word that means roughly the same as 'showboat' (perhaps something with 吹牛?), as has Farsi, as shown in that article. It's more of a challenge (or perhaps just a different challenge) than translating Obama's language in the first post of this thread, but challenges are what makes interpretation fun.

But to summarise: an interpreter translates the meaning of what you're saying, not simply the words. Because the end goal is that the other party understands the meaning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JerryG11 said:

Since Obama doesn't really know what's being said the flip of the page is the only indicator he can get when Brown is done. Otherwise there would be an awkward delay from Obama waiting to make sure Brown is done

In my experience, there is usually no need for such signs. Most people can tell when someone has finished speaking and when they're just pausing, even in an unfamiliar language. You'll notice that often, Brown flips the page and continues, uninterrupted by Obama.

I don't intend to bicker either, I'm just telling you how these things work, according to my knowledge and experience. How can Obama tell? The same way everyone knows whether another person has finished talking or whether they've just finished a sentence and will continue to add more. How long the interpreter has been speaking, his tone of voice, length of his pause when he stops talking, whether he looks up from the notepad, perhaps, other small changes in posture... Most people learn these things through long years of social interaction, and can apply them even when they don't understand the language spoken. I've interpreted at all kinds of venues for all kinds of people (though never for a president), and never once discussed a special code beforehand.

• Like 1

I imagine that Obama has also sat through hundreds of these sorts of meetings with various different dignitaries and heads of state, including dozens with this specific interpreter.  It doesn't take long to pick up on cues.

• Like 1