Chinese-Forums

Background Check in Shanghai

pallantejm

• New Members

As per the new VISA requirements for teachers looking to get a work Z Visa, a background check is required. How can one go about getting one while currently living in Shanghai?

How much will this cost?

Where does one need to go?

And lastly, how long would this take?

What country are you from?

The criminal background check can be from your national police, state police, any level of police really, or even the court as I've read.

It will then have to be authenticated and stamped by either the Chinese embassy in that country or the embassy/consulate of that country in China.

One person told from Shenzhen told me they used a local one, but all paperwork I've seen and my SAFEA says that can't be used.

I'll assume you're an Australian:

1. You apply online for a National Police Check at https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/services/criminal-records/national-police-checks
  2. You pay with your or a friends credit card - $42 or so
  3. You have it sent to a friends address in Australia (so they can use reliable and fast postage to China)
  4. Once your friend receives it, have them scan it and send the pic to you.
  5. Send the scan to consular.shanghai@dfat.gov.au asking if they can Authenticate it
  6. Once they confirm they can have your friend send it to you in China. - Mail Cost  $Not Sure Yet
  7. Make a booking online to authenticate your NPC
  8. Go to your appointment and authenticate it - 420 RMB or so
  9. You should be set - Probably need your company to translate everything though

I'm up to step 6 so far.

• Like 1