Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China
  • Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
天空神

拂菻坊 。。好不好

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

I think he sounds pretty good, as far as he goes. But he doesn't go that far: he sticks to short and simple sentences, using a basic vocabulary. Not that there's anything really wrong with that: sticking to short and simple sentences is good advice for any foreigner speaking Chinese. Still, it's a reminder that "speaking Chinese well" involves some gamesmanship, and it's a game he plays well.

That said, I'm no fan of these Look at Me! Look at Me! Look at Me! Youtube videos. They are an acquired taste.

Edit:

I've been had! He uses those videos to sell stuff, like the noodles he's showing.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/william-august-5769a0a

(At least I'm not one of those always suspicious of first-time posters. Just sometimes.)

• Like 2

天空神

You mean from like advertising right? I think I've heard that before, but almost everyone on YouTube does that. Everyone is trying to make a buck after all. 

I think hes he's fairly famous on bilibili as well

天空神

Wow nice find with his LinkedIn page though! That explains a lot. Looks like he has at least 6 years experience in Mandarin 

abcdefg

Just curious because I use his videos to pick up things

I think his Chinese is good, but better not follow his cooking tips.They are terrible!

And I find the video you linked (the only one of his I watched) annoying because he strives so hard to be silly/cute. These videos must be aimed at teenage girls, age fifteen and below.

Yes, he seems to be surrounded by teeny-bopper 粉丝. I think he wants to be a Chinese David Cassidy.

• Like 1

天空神

He's a bit of an acquired taste for sure. I've watched him for awhile, so I've kind of gotten use to it. 

I've also just started watching this girl on youtube if you want to check it out. I find this way of learning to be refreshing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhylt1BwyQI&t=48s