Chinese-Forums

Traveling to China with US Passport for the First Time

N0616JC

• New Members

Hello gurus, I am a former Chinese National and I am currently in New York (City). I am intending to travel to meet my wife's home in China to meet my parents-in-law in the following, week. However as I am trying to get my Visa done through an agent, they stated that I would need my old Chinese passport in order to be able to get a Visa on my US Passport. However, the unfortunate thing is that I have lost my old Chinese passport and that, in my knowledge, my Household Register (hukou) was cancelled over a decade ago when I immigrated to the US. So, with this issue in hand, I would like to know how would I be able to get my Visa to my former country of residence. This is very pressing as we only recently found out that I would need my old passport in order to get a visa. We have consulted some agents that help clients with visa and they stated that if I were to be able to produce a notarized birth certificate and any other documentations that I use to proof that I was a former Chinese national, then I would be able to get a Visa approved. On a side note, we have already booked the flight. Please help me on this pressing issue for my wife and I

I've never heard of that before personally. Are there any PRC consulates near you at all? I would go and talk to them as soon as possible. I always have gotten my visas through the consulates directly in NYC. I never go through agencies cause they generally take too long

Maybe even give a consulate a call and see what they say

*Edit*

Sorry somehow I missed you said NYC in your post too. Definitely go and talk to them directly. They're right on 12th avenue 

I'm pretty sure this has come up in the past here, perhaps more than once. Search back threads.

I seem to recall that the consulate wants to make sure you've renounced your Chinese citizenship. If you can't produce a passport for them to cancel, then they go back to the PSB where your hukou was issued, and bureaucracy being what it is, that takes time. Good luck, but I don't think those old threads are very encouraging if you need something done quickly. Nonetheless, perhaps some consulates are more flexible than others.

1 hour ago, 天空神 said:

I've never heard of that before personally.

Were you born in China?  It's a requirement for all previous Chinese nationals who apply for a visa on a passport from another country.

As 889 mentioned, there are quite a few threads posted by people with this exact same issue.  I can't remember how they were resolved, but you'll need some prior evidence of being a Chinese national.

@OP, this post might contain the answer you are looking for, but unfortunately not in the timeframe you need.  It's also from 8 years ago so I'm not sure if it will still work today.  Edit: I just finished reading that thread, and it seems doing that no longer works.

Anyway, the site linked to in that post is in San Francisco, but at least it's somewhere you can call that might be able to point you in the right direction.