Chinese-Forums

Saw that Z Visa holders can go through express immigration line with application

eion_padraig

So I saw on PandaGuidesOfficial WeChat which said Z visa holders will be able to sign up so they can go through immigration's e-channel if their passport supports e-passport. Apparently, you need to have a valid visa and residence permit with at least six months of validity. You have to ask immigration officials for the form and it's only in Chinese. They don't say the name of the form in the article I read. Applicants also have to have their photo and fingerprints taken.

Anyone else hear about this happening? I'd love to be able to go through the e-Channel.

It was bad enough going through in Guangzhou during Canton Fair, but I feel like things could be worse now that I'm in Shanghai.

Eion

Can confirm. I have the e-pass and it is so great since I go to Hong Kong about once a month.

If you are at the Shenzhen Bay (深圳湾) crossing, instead of heading directly to the counters, go right to the back where there's an office. If unsure, just ask one of the guards there, and they will direct you to the right place. I'm sure there are offices at the crossings in Futian, Luohu and Huanggang too, but I typically go to the Shenzhen Bay one. Once you're there, they'll take a picture of you, fingerprint you digitally, have a look at your passport and visa, and want you to give them a Chinese name (at least, that's what they did for me). Your e-pass works 24 hours after application.

In my case, I went to HK so often, and my passport is stamped so often that when the e-pass first came out, the immigration officers kept telling me to get the e-pass. So I did. Totally worth it. If you change/update your passport, you will, of course, have to update your e-pass.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know the name of the document in Chinese that we'll need to ask about? I'm going to try muddling through in my Chinese, but that word could save me a lot of hassle.

Thanks.

@eion_padraig 

I actually just waved my passport and said “我要申请电子通道。”

They knew immediately what I wanted and directed me to the right place. There was virtually nobody there. I was literally the only person applying for it. Not sure how it'll work for you in Shanghai, but it's totally worth a try. You might get some newbie who's all "omg foreigners can't apply", but just be persistent. I had to re-apply because my passport expired, and the second time I went, this guy was all "you can't, you're a foreigner", and I just told him that the customs officers told me to apply because I crossed the border so often, and so he went to check with his superiors.

ETA: BTW, you don't get a card or a document or whatever. They just electronically add your passport to the "valid for e-Channel" database in their system, and you scan your passport when you cross over.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So on my way back to China through Guangzhou I asked about signing up for the immigration E-channel, but I was told by the officials that I couldn't apply for it here since they didn't have it. They claimed only Shenzhen, Zhuhai, and a Tianhe office of Guangzhou had the applications. I'm not sure if it's because the language I used was for the pass system to go through to Macau and Hong Kong. Because Guangzhou's Baiyun Airport does have a 自动查检 area that would seem to be where one could use the e-Channel. I guess I'll try in Shanghai next time I come through. 

If anyone has any luck with using this system through customs as they are arriving in airports in Beijing, Shanghai, or Guangzhou, please let me know.

Sometimes, I suspect the people working there are not really aware of what is possible or maybe it's a hassle so they don't want to do it. I didn't necessarily get that vibe from the folks I spoke to at the airport, but it happens.

Eion

• Like 1