Chinese-Forums

Advice needed...I'm really discouraged with my progress

cambriasinica

"The sheer amount of times I have been knocked down by this kind of one up is honestly countless. I can still hear one in particular ringing in my head to this day: 'your Chinese is good. But have you heard (insert name)s Chinese?'"

These are precisely the same friends who will demand to know how much you paid for something new, especially something you're really excited about. No matter what you paid, they will always respond, 太贵了!

Some people just enjoy pricking others' balloons.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:23 AM, Tomsima said:

Can I just say how cathartic it was to read this sentence. The sheer amount of times I have been knocked down by this kind of one up is honestly countless. I can still hear one in particular ringing in my head to this day: "your Chinese is good. But have you heard (insert name)s Chinese? It's like hes actually Chinese! And he's only studied seven months! His tones are perfect! When I listen to him use Chinese I feel comfortable, not like you. I don't like you speaking Chinese, you should just speak english."

I'm assuming that you are a native English speaker.  Remember that you can run circles around them in English which as you are aware is a highly sought after language for native Mandarin speakers.  You might consider responding in English with something that they won't understand.  As 889 mentioned, there are some people who no matter what will look for something to knock you down with.  Not language related, but in the realm of dealing with Chinese one-upmanship, I was at a restaurant recently where I asked for  珍珠奶茶. There were posters there showing the more exotic bubble teas so I assumed this place would have the regular stuff.  Interestingly enough the waitress said they didn't have that and then my uncle made a patronizing remark about ABCs (referring to me).  I raised my eyebrows and said that bubble tea is a Taiwanese drink.  He didn't say anything in response but during the meal he'd put food on my plate. 

I've been studying Chinese since 1985, so 32 years now. Beat that! On and off, quite a bit off, but still. I'm somewhere around HSK 5, though I've never taken the test. I would probably struggle with newspapers, too. And movies, and full-speed conversations. In fact, there's not very much I can do in the real world without dictionary support, or asking people to slow down, resorting to English words, saying something I know how to say instead of what I want to say. I know that no matter how much I learn, there will still be more to learn, and there will always be people who have learned more, faster. It's a bit like earning money in that respect. But most of my non-linguist friends, when they hear my Chinese, think I'm some kind of genius.

In the 32 years, I've also: got married, raised a kid, started and sold a company, had and lost many jobs, bought a house, lived in three countries and visited many more, etc., etc. The Chinese has not interfered with any of that, and has played a significant role in some of it.

I agree with a lot of the advice here. Do what you want to do, and you'll get better at it. Know that you'll suck at first, and possibly always will, but if you keep doing it, you'll get better and/or faster. And if you enjoy studying, then keep studying.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 4:16 PM, happy_hyaena said:

Guys and gals who've been studying Chinese since pre-Pleco time, does it piss you off that us newer students of Chinese never have to go through that struggle? Don't you find it just a little bit annoying?

Or maybe there was something about the process of having to spend time looking up the word that helped you in learning it?

When you have to look up in the paper dictionary using the radicals and trace the number of strokes, that counts for gaining familiarity with characters. That does have its advantages.

• Like 1

It has been over 4 months since @cambriasinica made his or her one and only post here. Something else must be going on besides just slow learning progress. Any more of the sound generic advice we have all been dispensing is not going to be enough to turn the tide.

ANY advice would be appreciated.

I must doubt the original poster's sincerity with regard to how bad he wants it. Actions speak louder than words.

• Like 1