Chinese-Forums

A New Chinese Podcast, Featuring Mark Rowswell (Dashan)

ChineseTalkeze

Hi all, it's been a while since last time I posted on this forum and I was looking for fluent Chinese guest speakers for my podcast. It didn't end up well and I caused a lot of confusion for people. 

My podcast is now live:

Journey to Chinese Fluency | Learn Chinese | Culture | Technique | Motivation by Victor Yang | Chinese Talkeze
https://itun.es/au/FyhRkb.c

This is a weekly Podcast where I chat with people who learnt Chinese from scratch to fluency. If you are learning Chinese or planning to learn Chinese, this podcast is for YOU. Each episode details the journey of a non-native fluent Chinese speaker who shares their struggle, motivations, mindset and techniques in learning Chinese. You'll also hear them sharing hilariously embarrassing moments, Chinese culture, Internet resources, and much more. 

Here's the link to my interview with the very famous Mark Rowswell (Dashan):
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/1-how-most-famous-foreigner-in-china-learnt-chinese/id1252816415?i=1000389149988&mt=2

I hope this resolves the confusion and my show can be some help to all you Chinese learners. :D

Would love to hear some feedback from you all.

• Like 3

Thanks I will check it out. Link to the MP3 : http://www.chinesetalkeze.com/journey-to-chinese-fluency/1-how-the-most-famous-foreigner-learnt-chinese-mark-rowswell-dashan/

(When I read "instant fluency", as written on your homepage, it always reminds me of the Zen schools debate about "instant enlightenment" versus "progressive enlightenment". Both of them are wrong, both of them are right. 8) )

• Like 1

First off, if you want people to look at your work, then you need to make it as easy as possible. Use youtube or something else I can stream direct on a browser.

Second, using English reminds me of a Chinese tutor who spent most of the first hour -- there wasn't a second -- showing off his English instead of using Chinese with me. At a minimum, move back and forth and keep at least half the content Chinese.

Sorry to disappoint. The show is an English show so that most Chinese learners will be able to listen to. The purpose of the show is not to teach Chinese but to share people's journey. 

The show will be available on Stitcher Radio too. I will be submitting my feed to Stitcher. And if you prefer to hear it on the web you can visit this page: 

http://www.chinesetalkeze.com/journey-to-chinese-fluency/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChineseTalkeze said:

The purpose of the show is not to teach Chinese but to share people's journey

I didn't expect the show to teach me Chinese, because I can already understand Chinese just fine.

What I was hoping for was being able to hear about those journeys in Chinese.

I get your reason for making it in English, that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed though.   I'm always on the lookout for interesting Chinese language podcasts, and from your previous posts thought this was going to be one. 

3 hours ago, imron said:
4 hours ago, ChineseTalkeze said:

The purpose of the show is not to teach Chinese but to share people's journey

I didn't expect the show to teach me Chinese, because I can already understand Chinese just fine.

What I was hoping for was being able to hear about those journeys in Chinese.

I get your reason for making it in English, that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed though.   I'm always on the lookout for interesting Chinese language podcasts, and from your previous posts thought this was going to be one. 

Seems cool to me either way. There is certainly a need for people to hear the stories of people who have successfully learned Chinese. There are so many paths to success and so often we look at those who are successful and just assume "he must just be a natural." A podcast like this could help learners deal with the motivational barrier of learning Chinese.

Of course, I also want more Chinese language podcasts, but at the advanced level, there is quite a bit to choose from as is.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it's not interesting, it is, but just not what I thought it was going to be.

24 minutes ago, 艾墨本 said:

to hear the stories of people who have successfully learned Chinese.

This is true, but how is one to judge how successful their methods have been without hearing them speak?

Awesome. Didnt listen yet, I will soon, but learning from people who achieved this level of chinese is only beneficial for people like me. Currently HSK3, 3 months and a half of chinese at the university (in China), never lost motivation :D

Thanks. And I agree the show should not be in Chinese, how would I understand otherwise ?

Edit : Maybe they could for example introduce themselves and talk a topic fully in chinese for the first few minutes to compare their levels with ours haha.

Edited by Kherith

2 hours ago, imron said:

This is true, but how is one to judge how successful their methods have been without hearing them speak?

Well, as a different perspective on this, it's pretty easy to hear Dashan's Chinese on video sites or whatever online, and in doing so, it becomes clear that his methods have been very successful. If the entire podcast was in Chinese, although it may be useful for advanced learners, there seems to be less scope in teaching Chinese learning techniques to people who are already very proficient at Chinese.. you are effectively preaching to the converted.

2 hours ago, Kherith said:

Thanks. And I agree the show should not be in Chinese, how would I understand otherwise ?

More interesting if half in Chinese and half in English. Then it would have appeal to a bigger audience.

Ok, I've listened to the whole thing now.

Regarding the format:

Things I like:

The overview of the podcast on the website with links to the exact part being talked about.  That's a really nifty feature.

Things I don't like:

The 1 minute long intro at the start.

I understand Imron's disappointment with the podcast being in English, but the OP hopes to inspire people learning Chinese. People who need such inspiration don't have awesome Chinese yet, and thus won't be able to understand an interesting podcast entirely in Chinese. People who would appreciate a podcast in Chinese don't need the inspiration. And people who can judge whether a given learner is actually really good, or fairly fluent but with atrocious tones and bad grammar, speak really good Chinese and are thus not the intended audience. So I completely understand the OP's decision to do this in English.

• Like 4

I understand the reason also, but I think it would have been nice if there had been at least some of it in Chinese. They said in the podcast that they were talking in Chinese before the show so why not record that also and make it available.

• Like 2

I agree this introduction is so cheesy haha, I really dont like it. I have stopped at 17mn cause I had a bug and now for some reason, I guess my connection, it doesnt let me continue... I'll try again later. But please, change this introduction. Otherwise, the content is really interesting, thanks for this !