Chinese-Forums

A New Chinese Podcast, Featuring Mark Rowswell (Dashan)

ChineseTalkeze

First of all, thank you all for your interest and feedback! I'll see if I can make the intro shorter. In regards to adding Chinese conversation to the podcast, here's my thought on this:

1. As previously mentioned, my intended audience is people who are learning Chinese up to an intermediate level. I doubt any advanced Chinese speaker would find my Podcast beneficial as he/she has already gone through the "journey".
  2. imron, I understand why you would like to hear some Chinese conversation in the show. 
    1. You can practice your Chinese from hearing a Chinese conversation
    2. You can test your Chinese from hearing a Chinese conversation
    3. By hearing the pronunciation and vocabulary of the guest you can make a judgment on the guest's Chinese level.
  3. In order to do achieve these, you probably want to hear a more in-depth conversation using more complicated vocabulary. Something more than a self-introductory.

4. Adding this type of Chinese conversation to the show is a bit tricky. I did think about this before. How can I add a Chinese conversation to the show without compromising the listening experience of a beginner? In another word, how can a beginner benefit and appreciate a Chinese conversation in the show? This is one of the reasons that I ask the guests to share a favourite Chinese quote. 

I'm open to suggestions. Keep the feedback coming!

Btw, for those of you on Android, my show is now available on Stitcher Radio.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChineseTalkeze said:

dding this type of Chinese conversation to the show is a bit tricky. I did think about this before. How can I add a Chinese conversation to the show without compromising the listening experience of a beginner? In another word, how can a beginner benefit and appreciate a Chinese conversation in the show? This is one of the reasons that I ask the guests to share a favourite Chinese quote. 

Why not include a section at the end of the podcast with random conversational bits in Chinese as you were preparing to record the podcast. Or a second lightly-edited podcast with "behind the scenes" that is just you and the speaker talking in Chinese and getting ready for the podcast. Both these would be easy to ignore if the listener doesn't want to. I'm thinking along similar lines of bloopers at the end of a movie.

6 hours ago, ChineseTalkeze said:

I doubt any advanced Chinese speaker would find my Podcast beneficial as he/she has already gone through the "journey".

But they might still find it interesting, and if they find it interesting, they will recommend it to learners who come to them for advice.

6 hours ago, ChineseTalkeze said:

I understand why you would like to hear some Chinese conversation in the show. 

I think my comments have been a little bit misunderstood.  It's not that I think the show needs Chinese, and I think it still works without it, it's rather that since you started promoting it a few months ago, your posts gave me the impression it was going to be all in Chinese and so when it came out all in English it was different from what I was expecting.

I also think that if you're doing an hour-long podcast it probably wouldn't be too difficult to split it up in to two sections - an English section and a Chinese section.