Chinese-Forums

Extending Residence Permit Shanghai

gossamerwillow

• New Members

Hi All, 

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience extending their residence permit for one month and a few days? My new company is in Shanghai and I am currently in Nanjing. They think they might not be able to get the permit processed in time for me to go on my summer trip that I've already booked based upon them previously telling me it would be ok (which of course was not their fault since the laws happened to change without anyone knowing beforehand). I am trying to see how easy/difficult it would be to do this on my own in Nanjing or Shanghai. The permit is due to expire on 7/20 and I would like to extend it to 8/25. Thank you for any help you can give me Smile 

Alexis

I don't see any reason they can't process your work permit you're travelling. They can start to do it up to a month in advance, all they really need you for is to come in and show your original documents in the office once and sign your contract and forms and stuff. As long as you're well prepared and back in time for you to extend your visa, I can't see a big problem. Without knowing your exact travel dates it's hard to say though.

I've personally seen the entire process done in less than 48 hours in emergency situations, including company registration into the system.