Chinese-Forums

New passport, new visa?

Tiri

Hi guys, here's my problem.

My passport expires in April 2018. It is enough to get a visa from September this year, but the cost of making new passport in China is almost 5 times more then what I'd pay in my country. Meanwhile, I already got JW202 from my school with my old passport number. Is it possible to enter China with a visa in the old passport (when other pages are annulled) and a new passport and then convert to residence permit into a new passport? Thank you!

Yes, You can. But confirm with your chinese embassy in your country.

You need to travel with both passport to make that work. Old one to show your visa, and new one to show your current one.

Just do your visa before you renew your passport.

• Like 1

When extending your residence permit in China, they will only extend it up to a maximum of 1 month before the passport expiry date, you'd need to have your new passport at least that month in advance, the earlier the better, and extend your residence permit again before it expires. You can carry the two passports with you for entry and exit according to the PSB.

I just discovered this the hard way two days ago.