Chinese-Forums

Testosterone and estrogen

murrayjames

Thank you, Publius!

Wikipedia lists several words (e.g., 睾酮、睾固酮、睾丸素、睾丸酮、睾甾酮、睾脂酮 are all given for testosterone). Presumably, these words are used in different parts of the Chinese-speaking world. For language learners like me, it is hard to distinguish between them.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:53 AM, murrayjames said:

What are the most commonly used words for "testosterone" and "estrogen" on the Chinese mainland?

What I've found for things like this is that, like in English, there is often one version which is highly technical, such as might be used in an article published in a scientific journal, and another version which is more recognizable by the general lay public. This is the form that might be used in casual TV reporting, for example.

13 hours ago, murrayjames said:

For language learners like me, it is hard to distinguish between them.

So, don't be distressed if you find multiple terms for the same thing. This happens a lot in medicine and other popular science.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-30 at 4:52 PM, abcdefg said:

don't be distressed if you find multiple terms for the same thing. This happens a lot in medicine and other popular science.

Just look up Vitamin D and all the names.