Chinese-Forums

How long does it take to learn Mandarin Chinese?

Nobunaga

• New Members

Hi, all

I generally do not have any knowledge about Mandarin Chinese. Due to some special reasons, I need to learn it to achieve it as soon as possible. I have read through several posts, and they do helped me to gives me some basic understandings of this language. But I am still confused with the difficulty of the HSK and the learning periods of this test.  Please feel free to discuss, it would be very helpful if any of you can explain this exam. 

Are you intending to learn Mandarin as fast as possible or pass a certain HSK as fast as possible? The study schedule for each would look a lot different. Studying to pass an exam is a completely different mindset than studying to learn the language. 

I get the impression that it would take about 3500 hour to get to the HSK 6 level give or take a bit depending on background and ability.

Based on that Foreign Language Institute they say 2200 hours. With some digging I figure add 70% for personal study time [more or less again] for about 3750 which would be an IFR 3 or C1 on the Euro Scale. Which seems to be the level of the HSK6 if you were to go a bit beyond the 5K vocab I'd figure. However I don't think they push writing very hard.

Of course if you are a 15 year old native Cantonese speaker who has also learned to fluency Japanese, Arabic and one of those insane Euro languages like Finnish or Hungarian than it shouldn't take much time at all.

If you are an 80 year old unilingual English speaker with very little aptitude for language then it will take much much much longer.

Nobunaga is a Japanese name. If you are a native Japanese speaker or have learned Japanese to an advanced level, then you can have a 500 hour deduction (presumably spent on "remembering the kanji" :mrgreen:).

I don't think it would take 3500 hours to pass the HSK6 test. If you were solely studying for the test, you could probably reach HSK6 in 6-8 months of concentrated, effective study. Those numbers given are to learn the language as a whole, they aren't anywhere near what it would take to pass a test. For example, I'm in a 4th-year Chinese class in college, but if you were to study my textbook chapter, the associated vocabulary and grammar patterns, you could probably let a Chinese 101 student take my test and they would be able to pass it with perhaps a week of studying. That's not saying in one week they reached the same level as me, but when you are focusing on a specific test it is orders of magnitude easier. 

2 hours ago, TonganRambo said:

I don't think it would take 3500 hours to pass the HSK6 test. If you were solely studying for the test, you could probably reach HSK6 in 6-8 months of concentrated, effective study. Those numbers given are to learn the language as a whole, they aren't anywhere near what it would take to pass a test. For example, I'm in a 4th-year Chinese class in college, but if you were to study my textbook chapter, the associated vocabulary and grammar patterns, you could probably let a Chinese 101 student take my test and they would be able to pass it with perhaps a week of studying. That's not saying in one week they reached the same level as me, but when you are focusing on a specific test it is orders of magnitude easier. 

This is all very true. That said, the 3500 hours figure sounds about right assuming that the HSK 6 test successfully tested your level. Getting your comprehensive level to what HSK 6 should represent will take that time.

7 hours ago, AaronUK said:

I thought I was doing well to have approx. 2 hours of classes a week over the last 2 years and getting to HSK3. my study would be around 200 hours so I guess I have a long way to go to fluency.

200 hours of class time, 200 hours of study, HSK. Sounds about right. Linguistic high five! In that context you are doing well.

• Like 1

7. Why HSK?

8. Do you need to learn to read and write characters immediately? If not, you can progress more rapidly conversationally by focusing on Listening/Speaking/Pinyin in the short term.

I know people and know of people who have passed HSK5 after 6-8 months of study (I.e, second semester of Chinese, in China), but they were Korean and had an advantage with vocabulary. A westerner could maybe also do it if they were a top learner and really just only focused on HSK5. A teacher at my university back in NanDa told me of a Swedish guy who did it in a year and who was nothing short of amazing.

HSK6 on the other hand? No way. You couldn't possibly bullshit your way through that in less than a year's time, or really in general. 

To the guy who has 2 hours of class a week, are you in High School and taking Chinese as an elective? How much time do you spend learning outside of class?

I know there's hours associated with how long it takes to be fluent in Mandarin. It's something like 2500-3000 hours, correct me if I'm wrong

I was curious though what does that 3000 hours mean? Is that immersed in China? Is it learning in a school for 3000 hours? Is it studying on your own for 3000 hours? 

Or is it just a variance of all those things and then some?

10 hours ago, happy_hyaena said:

For 4 years, that's 2560 hours.

So the FSI seems to be about right with its recommendation of 2200 classroom hours. 

I think the problem with self-learners is, that it takes most of us a lot longer to put in a comparable amount of time. As a result a lot of people's motivation wavers which leads to even less time being used for studying.