Chinese-Forums

Chinese hurting your ears

i__forget

This is coming up quite often in my studies :S

So my ears are sensitive to loud noises, especially to loud frequency sounds. I have found that sometimes when the native speaker of my  lessons (I use various resources so this has happened with various speakers) pronounces the first or forth tone, especially when they feel they have to stress it (in my book I call this shouting), my  ears are bothered and I have to reduce the volume; not something I necessarily want to do since I'm still trying to distinguish the various sounds.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it's a feature of the language or it's a problem with the particular speakers?

Thanks a lot! x

I think I follow: I set up a new set of speakers and receiver the other day, and my ears were hurting while listening and testing speaker placement. 

I think your issue, and mine, were most likely something to do with the equipment. There are lots of snake-oil salespeople out there (not saying you are Shelley), but the old "you get what you pay for" still holds quite a bit of water methinks, and sometimes one can't really understand cheap until one lives through its quirks.

On the other hand some people really do speak grating Chinese. But never the textbooks I've used.... those people are so smooth like butterr:)

@889 Perhaps I should make my self clear, I only sell PA speakers, my advice was for Hi-fi or PC speakers which I don't sell. So It is not advice to make me money, it is not so much the fact that they are expensive, what I should have said I suppose was, spend the larger proportion of your budget on speakers and don't worry so much about the amp, the amp is the easy bit.

• Like 3

What does the Men's Roller Derby Association have to do with this? ;-)

They are sponsored by Shelley's Soundz Shoppe. Check out their kit, her shop's logo emblazons their jerseys!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shelley said:

Do you mean high or low frequency sounds or loud sounds happening frequently?

Sorry I meant to say high frequency sounds.

9 hours ago, Shelley said:

You don't say if you are using headphones or speakers.

I use headphones but keep the volume down. My headphones are good... I really notice the difference when they stress some tones..

Is it the volume or the quality of the high frequency? If it is the volume then you can as Hofmann suggests compress it, or if it is the quality you may be able to adjust this also use Audacity, by using a graphic equaliser and taking down the frequency(s) that you don't like. Taking out the top end will affect the intelligibility of the speech but it shouldn't be to bad.

It might just need normalising again you can Audacity for this, this takes all the peaks and troughs out to make it all the same overall volume, this may help/

it is a complicate thing not actually know what the problem is.

Is it possible post a snippet of some audio that shows the problem?

Could this be intentional? Isn't there a school of thought that tapes should sometimes be hard to hear?

Most people don't speak like professional announcers. You rarely hold a conversation in the quiet of a sound studio. Good practice sometimes means trying to understand something like a muffled announcement on a noisy train platform.

• 7 months later...