Chinese-Forums

is ok if I do this?

Jag är AJC

• New Members

I recently started to learn chinese . So I decided  to do this learn 5 chinese characters per day 

Monday - 5 chinese characters

Tuesday - 5 chinese characters more 

Wednesday  5  new more chinese characters

successively.

What do you think about my method of study?  非常感謝你

Yes, I think it's ok.  In fact, you could probably even drop it down to 3 characters per day.

The important thing is to do it *every* day.

Are you planning to learn Chinese long-term? I guarantee you that almost every single Chinese learner who has studied the language for more than 3 years has at some point looked back, done the math, and thought, why oh why didn't I just learn 3 new characters a day.

Remember also to learn words as well.  Words are more important than characters.

• Like 2

The number can fluctuate up and down a bit, what's important is doing it every day.

This means not doing too many new words a day because then it starts to get more and more onerous to do.

I wouldn't go below 3 or above 10.

When I'm in vocabulary learning mode I set myself a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 10 new words a day, where a word can contain one or more new characters.

That's a level I can maintain day in, day out without much effort, and low effort is the key to doing it every day, and doing it every day is the key to long term progress. 

• Like 1

It's a good plan. I agree with Imron that it's better to learn words than characters, and that the key is in keeping up this habit. Good luck!

• Like 1

I'd study the most basic 200-300 characters individually, then move to words in combinations with the basic characters. Once you've got 1200 or so characters half-way under your belt, probably best to rely on reading to increase vocabulary, not staring at word lists.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Things that "go without saying" (so much so that the posts above didn't mention it) :

You must also take into account reviewing previously learned characters. Are you using some kind of flashcards or an SRS program?

You are aware of the components that form characters, and that learning to recognise them is a great way to memorize characters more easily?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edelweis said:

You must also take into account reviewing previously learned characters. Are you using some kind of flashcards or an SRS program?

That's a big one in my book. Also the suggestion to learn Chinese words, not only characters.

What do you think about my method of study?

Am I correct in assuming that learning to recognize, read, and maybe write Hanzi characters is part of a broader program you have undertaken to learn Chinese? That would, of course, be best.

And welcome to the forum!