Chinese-Forums

iPhone the best way to go for China compatible phone?

daxia33

Hey everyone.

I have been living/travelling back and forth to China since 2003. Choosing a telephone never used to be a problem. However, The last phone I had was a samsung galaxy phone bought in Sweden, and as I am sure you know, the google version of android does not work very well in China unless you want to mess with VPN's all the time etc. Now I have a MeiZu phone bought in China, but that one does not work very well in Sweden since a lot of apps like bank apps etc requires google play. 

I have always hated Apple because of the way they limit the amount of freedom you have to play around with you phone, but sadly, it seems that its the only type of phone thats 100% functional both in China and Sweden, or at least thats what I've heard. 

Before I buy an iPhone, I would just like to make sure that no matter if I buy the phone in Sweden or China, it will be 100% compatible in the other country. Is it the same iTunes, iStore, maps and all other stuff? It would be great if someone could enlighten me. 

Also, is it generally cheaper to buy phones in HK compared to the mainland? 

This site has the information you need to check if your model of phone is compatible on any specific network in any specific country. 

http://willmyphonework.net

Note that you should also check if your apps are compatible as well, sometimes things that you wouldn't expect turn out to be an issue. (I found out my phone is compatible in South Korea, but that Google Maps doesn't work there)

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

If you can live WITHOUT any Google apps or services, then an Android should also be ok.  It's China's blocking of Google that makes life hard for some Android users.  

A phone with WCDMA version of 3G/4G is the best choice.  It should be compatible with China Unicom's network.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've lived in China since 2008 and regularly travel internationally for work.  Have had no issues with iPhone in both China and the the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe.  In regards to what apps you can download, it depends what your account is registered to with a credit card from where.  For example, if you live in Sweden you can have the apple account in Sweden linked to your Swedish credit card and you can access the Swedish app store from anywhere.  If you register with a Chinese card in the China app store, then you will have the China app store.  App stores, music, movies, etc. are all different depending on country.  But they are linked to your registration/credit card, not to where you are traveling/location.  

Buying an iPhone in HK is cheaper than buying in mainland.  

• 8 months later...

Goodness, that website is truly a legend. Little me has never heard of a sub-model :oops:

Looks like it is between Mobile or Unicom then for moi.