Chinese-Forums

Master's degree in China & opportunities of work

Kherith

Hi,

Right now I am studying chinese at the university (only took one semester, so I have the HSK3 level) and I will study chinese for two more semesters. As I have a bachelor degree and I didnt know before that holding a master's degree from a chinese university allows you to get a work visa without any experience, I am now really considering about getting a master's degree here. I have a bachelor of marketing, and I have studied a master of marketing (but did not complete it cause too lazy and too stupid at that time...). Have a few questions :

- I heave read Angelina saying it is quite easy to get a job in China after completing a Master's degree in a chinese university. What are your thoughts, guys ?

- As I have done marketing studies, I was thinking of doing something I really like instead. My first thought was studying chinese at a master's level, but for what... ? Except for translation, is there any other opportunity ?

- My second thought was studying Chinese History, because I know it would really passionate me. What kind of job can you expect ? I was thinking about tourism but I am not sure it will be easy to find a job, though I think I would really like doing this.

- My third thought was teaching French in China. But there is no master degree for that here, right ? Can I find a job in teaching french with another master ? I think I would need two years of experience first.

- Finally, do you know any sector of activity in which I could easily find a job here ? Wanna know if this is something I would have interest in doing (not teaching English, please :D )

Thanks

• Like 1

- I don't think its as easy as Angelina makes it out to be. Since the rule is relatively new some people aren't really sure about the process. My friend has been trying to get a job in China (holding a masters degree in tourism) and hasn't had much luck with any hotels, just the one we all interned at seems to be trying but everyone's advice is the same 'go back home and work first then try again'. 

-Many people take on the 'teaching chinese as a foreign language' masters program, I think it would give you a good foundation on Chinese as you're essentially learning it well enough to teach others. That might be a good start. 

Just my two cents, With only HSK3 you wont have luck getting into any masters degree program that isn't taught in English. Minimum for a bachelors is HSK4, minimum for masters is HSK5 (in chinese taught curriculum), certain majors might ask for HSK6. 

I think you should study what you want and not worry about what kind of job outcome there is. At the end of the day whats most important is following what you want. If your heart isn't in it there's nothing that will keep you here for 2-3 years (mind you many Chinese masters degree programs are 3 years long, if you require a one year language preparatory course and its a total of 3-4 years) It's quite the commitment so pick something you love. 

• Like 3

Actually I'm quite curious about this as well.

I am a computer science student who did his Bachelor's in the US, and am now unsure whether or not to study in Denmark or China for my Master's degree.

Both choices would be free of tuition, rent, and provide monthly stipends, however, I am unsure of how good employment prospects are with a Chinese degree. For reference, if I were to study in China, it would be at either Harbin Institute of Technology or Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

I am fairly confident in the employment prospects of the Danish degree, and am curious about  how it is for a Chinese degree. I would be completely okay with working in China, but I do not know how difficult work would be to find as a CS major with a degree from HIT or SJTU.

Does anyone have any insight or experience in this? 

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. Do you know more about working in tourism here in China ?

So, most of the people taking the tcsofl actually do it to improve their chinese rather than actually become a chinese teacher ? What kind of opportunities can we get with that kind of degree apart from actually teaching chinese ?

Yes, as I said, I have the hsk3 level now, but I will study two more semesters, so I should reach AT LEAST the hsk5. Im afraid that even with a hsk5 or even 6, following a masters degree in chinese would still be very hard... I dont know actually. I was thinking of getting into an english taught programme. However, if I feel like, at that time, Im able to follow a degree taught in chinese, then I would ve glad to do so.

Finally, I definitely want to pick something I love. I didnt graduate from my masters degree cause I was bored from marketing and lost motivation. Now, during my chinese language studies, I love studying again, I have never been that serious. That is why I was mainly considering a master's degree in either language or chinese history, or even china studies (Ive checked the zhejiang china studies programme, looks great). However, my final objective is to get a job in china, so I dont want to study lets say 2 years of chinese history and, even if I loved it, have to go back to my country. That is why I opened that topic to know more about opportunities. I hope you guys can help a bit more cause I'm in the period I must decide what im gonna do (it's in a year, but I need to know now in order to achieve my objectives, that's how I work).

On 7/3/2017 at 5:36 PM, Kherith said:

So, most of the people taking the tcsofl actually do it to improve their chinese rather than actually become a chinese teacher ? What kind of opportunities can we get with that kind of degree apart from actually teaching chinese ?

I wouldn't say most people. I've met half a dozen students studying this degree and they all intend on going home to teach Chinese in their home countries; most are from countries without a significant population of Chinese speakers. The rest are Chinese themselves, and are the only ones likely to get a job teaching Chinese in China (of course).

On 7/3/2017 at 5:36 PM, Kherith said:

Yes, as I said, I have the hsk3 level now, but I will study two more semesters, so I should reach AT LEAST the hsk5. Im afraid that even with a hsk5 or even 6, following a masters degree in chinese would still be very hard... I dont know actually. I was thinking of getting into an english taught programme. However, if I feel like, at that time, Im able to follow a degree taught in chinese, then I would ve glad to do so.

You're right - it will be hard. Also, HSK 5 is the requirement for most MAs, but I'd hardly describe it as sufficient to do graduate level work (I just passed the HSK 5 and often feel like a beginner). The HSK is a rather artificial test of your Chinese level - try picking up a real book and reading it, or sitting in on lectures in Chinese. That doesn't mean you can't do it, but it isn't going to be easy. If you don't want to struggle as much, I'd go to an English program. On the other hand, almost everybody I've met in English programs here describes them as really easy (also not good).

Consider a Bachelors as well. I've met many foreigners here who already graduated with a BA in their home country but are now pursuing a second one in Chinese language or what not. I often regret not doing the same - I think it would have established a better foundation in terms of language. 

Don't forget that there is not much experience with international students here, think of it as a beta version. 

Some parts are good, but if you have safer options, you should be careful before making the decision. Think before you decide. 

Yet, if you are planning to spend a lot of time in China, this a good way to do it. It will be easier for work visas, immigration and later. Especially if you find a good program. 

Another photo I took today. 

Seems like a lot of the Chinese companies, when they have campus recruitment (校园招聘), they give away 礼品. 

Not sure if their company culture is the right fit for you, but this is the way they do it. I like to keep my options open. 

Interesting anyway. 

l.thumb.jpg.0b4267593e68e295b3ff346f947d0408.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 11:18 AM, hejmeddig said:

Both choices would be free of tuition, rent, and provide monthly stipends, however, I am unsure of how good employment prospects are with a Chinese degree. For reference, if I were to study in China, it would be at either Harbin Institute of Technology or Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

Choose Shanghai Jiao Tong University. It will be easy to find internship opportunity in Shanghai. Moreover, I am almost sure it's more easy to apply for 签证加注 in Shanghai PSB.