Chinese-Forums

i'm an orphan. does it affect Chances Getting student visa?

hkdude

I 'm just about to apply for long term(self sponsored) student visa to China. However.  I was told in the agency that I may have good chances to  have my visa denied, because I have no family / relatives e.g I'm 100% orphan. Is it true indeed?

Thanks.

It's probably a combination of things: developing country + no strong family ties = larger likelihood that you won't return to your home country. It would probably help if you had something else at home that would pull you back, like a wife/husband and children, a good job, a house or plenty of money, but if you're an orphan of student age, you're not likely to have such things either. This sucks, I'm sorry you're in this situation.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that. Well, you're and orphan so there's no way you can prove of having strong family ties. Also, you're still a student and it's only but normal for you to want to further your education in a better place. Just apply and make sure all your documents are correct. There is a chance :) if not it will mean all orphans are doomed to not leaving their countries?, of which I think not. chin up boy :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hkdude said:

I 'm just about to apply for long term(self sponsored) student visa to China.

What is a self-sponsored student visa? Does this mean that you will not have any university or private language school affiliation or sponsorship? Are you just going to China to study independently, on your own? And by "long term," how much time do you mean? How many months or years are you asking to be inside China? 

Seems to me that these issues might affect your visa application in addition to your main concern of being an orphan.

It might help if you can tell them a clear story about your plans: what exactly you are going to study in China, and why is that subject interesting to you; what you plan to do with it after you've finished your studies and have returned to your home country. Also, if you have other family, or people you care a lot about, in your home country, you might want to tell them about those relations too. If they fear you'll remain in China, telling them all this might help reassure them.

• Like 2

I don't think that China has a policy where they force students to leave China after their studies end. 

On the contrary, the predominant feeling I get is that this is an environment where talent is welcome.

You are going to get the visa. Unless there are other reasons. Still, not having a family to go back to does not mean anything here. 

Tell us what happens.

• Like 2

@Angelina Ohh. hope so.. However,. after being treated like a crap by staff even though It's by phone I have little hope it happens . Also the embassy has some money washing (or corrupted ?) schemes: in order to get an appointment in embassy  to apply for visa, they effectively forcing you to pay an "entrance fee" like 150 (Hundred and Fifty!@) USD  to the Agency, which is  a  few meters away from Embassy entrance and doesn't even bother to advertise itself as an agency.. It's clear that it's embassy backed agency because none of other agencies in my place can provide such services. I wish there was a way to report this fact...Well it's an  another topic for conversation anyway.

Are you sure this Agency is connected to the Embassy? It can be anyone trying to make money. 

Just because this is the only agency that claims they offer this service, it does not mean they would be able to provide the service. You also don't need an agency. 

Why don't you just go to the Embassy and make everything 100% legally?

No one is forcing you to use the questionable services they might offer. 

Don't let the fear of you not having family members to include in your application stop you from going to the embassy and applying yourself. These agencies operate on that fear. No need. Go and apply! 

• Like 1

@Angelina 

Ok Let me give a more detailed answer. 

According to the embassy policy, The embassy doesn't accept people without having them registered in advance. In order to do this. embassy requires to submit  a blank email( with subject which should match exactly to the template they specified.)  . The email must be sent only in specific day of week and specific hours: 2pm-4pm .

I  sent them the email every week for a month and every time I got rejected.   reason: the registration queue is full or email subject  is incorrect(I called them to check if the subject of my email is correct). . So eventually I went there in person; visitors told me they had same problem and suggested to go to the agency next to embassy(It's the only agency in diplomatic compound!).  The agency staff said that i will be appointed in the embassy  on the next week.,. also warned me that having no  family/ relatives  affects my chances on getting visa and agency can't help me resolve this no family problem, but to book an appointment  in embassy. So I had  to accept  agency services as the time already is running out..

I can imagine that "agency" situation. I had a similar experience back in '13 in my country. Well, give it a try I'd say. If eventually you're called next week for an appointment then you won't lose anything. If no appointment then there is still time(We're still in early July) to try to "legally" book an appointment directly with the embassy by yourself. 

On a side note; I had a similar experience with these so called agencies in my country. There was literally NO WAY to book an appointment without passing through them and the embassy knew it, but won't do anything about it. I had been going to the embassy for 2 weeks without being able to successfully book an appointment. In the end, I had to pay them(the agency) around 40 bucks to get an appointment the next day!

The agency situation is an extremely common one. You need some visa, license or certificate and the guy responsible for issuing it tells you what a terrible hassle it is and how it'll take months and months and require a ton of paperwork. "Oh, but you know what. There's an agency just next door, maybe they can help, ha ha." Then you go next door and someone with a strong family resemblance to the first guy effectively sells you the piece of paper you need for several thousand yuan.

HKDude, keep trying, and good luck...

• Like 2

As long as you have enough money in your bank account to support your studies in China, as well as your living expenses, then it's a thing that you shouldn't worry about (in my opinion). Just prove in the embassy that you have plans of going back to your home country after you finish your studies. If being an orphan will be the reason for them to deny your visa, that's really not acceptable. So go for it! Don't let that be a hindrance of not getting your student visa. 

22 hours ago, hkdude said:

I  sent them the email every week for a month and every time I got rejected.

I'll bet your problem has nothing to do with being an orphan. Sounds like a combination of corruption and bureaucratic red tape.

• Like 1