Chinese-Forums

Someone care to opine on this? A resignation note by a Chinese guy

agelastic

The author was in a second-tier consultancy firm according to the original reddit poster.

It should be acceptable if the author and his manager were friends and the author knew about his manager's Chinese abilities.

22 minutes ago, Kenny同志 said:

It should be acceptable if the author and his manager were friends and the author knew about his manager's Chinese abilities.

Unlikely. Judging from his letter, I'd say he's just a newly-graduated who's full of himself. He's also addressing his colleagues including the reddit poster who seems to be a foreigner.

• Like 1

Why? is the unaddressed question.

All of Publius's examples can be used in other contexts. For a reason.

So when you resign with a letter like this, your message doesn't lie in the text itself, that's irrelevant; it lies simply in the use of classical Chinese.

So why would someone with even half a brain send a letter like this, given that the underlying message is, "I'm a real twit, and you should bless your lucky stars I'm heading out the door."

16 minutes ago, 889 said:

the underlying message is, "I'm a real twit, and you should bless your lucky stars I'm heading out the door."

I see it differently. To me his message is "You lot aren't good enough for me who can write like an ancient scholar."

Unlikely. Judging from his letter, I'd say he's just a newly-graduated who's full of himself. He's also addressing his colleagues including the reddit poster who seems to be a foreigner.

I didn't read the posts on Reddit but from this letter, I can't tell the author is fresh out of school and full of himself. Anyway, my point is writing in classical Chinese is not a taboo in our society.

So when you resign with a letter like this, your message doesn't lie in the text itself, that's irrelevant; it lies simply in the use of classical Chinese.

How you came to this conclusion is a mystery to me. Classical Chinese, just like colloquial Chinese, is a language. It goes without saying that what is said in a piece of classical Chinese writing is as important as what is said in a piece of colloquial Chinese writing.

I see it differently. To me his message is "You lot aren't good enough for me who can write like an ancient scholar."

Without more background information, I can't see that.

We can go on and on about this but in the end, we may still disagree with each other so I will stop here.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone ever said it's a taboo. But from the letter, and with background knowledge, including the Reddit threads, it seems relatively obvious that the person is young, inexperienced, not particularly awesome at weaving together allusions, etc. And all that makes him come off pompous and ridiculous given the situation is that he is quitting his job after a couple years of being bad at his job lol.