Chinese-Forums

2017 Confucius Institute Scholarship

艾墨本

• New Members

Hi guys. In the middle of October I applied for half semester scholarship starting from March 2018. I'm currently on the 4th stage. Do you have any information when I will be possibly get the decision if I'm admitted or not? Does anyone who applied for second semester scholarship already received admission letter yet? My application is a bit late. In application guide it's written that the Hanban results are announced once a year in June. I'm a bit confused if it's possible to get the scholarship from March 2018 or not as I missed admission day.

@Véroniq I only know one girl who has a second semester scholarship and she received confirmation back in June. Definitely get in touch with the powers that be and figure out what's going on.

@Frank Jansen I submitted a scanned original of my (UK) degrees online. I also submitted a paper one but I don't remember if this was for CIS or Chinese Government Scholarship - either way, for that one I just contacted my uni and asked for certified copies, paid the fee, received it within days, and that was accepted.

On 11/29/2017 at 5:34 PM, Frank Jansen said:

I'm sorry to repeat my question, but for last year's scholarships winners: If your bachelor/master certificate is in English, do you have to notarize it?

I didn't formally notarize in the way the people think of when they say notarize since I would have to be in the US to do so. I was in China and went to an embassy a notarized it in a round-about-way. I wrote a statement saying my diploma was real, the embassy the notarized the letter that I signed saying it was real. I sent this in despite it not being requested and ended up with the scholarship. I have heard it is unnecessary to notarize your diploma if it is in English but I can't verify this based on my own experiences.

Hi,I want to apply for MTCSOL. When do I need to pass the HSK 5 ?

I can choose two dates (In China) : 

2月11日 and result the 3月5日

- 3月24日 and result the 4月9日

Same for HSKK : result the  3月18日 or 4月24日 ? 

Do I need to have the official transcript or chinesetest.cn result are enought ?

Thanks 

-

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

So the results for the one semester scholarship starting in March/late February are out. I'm very glad to have been accepted after two attempts were foiled by the opaqueness and the inefficiencies of various institutions…

Anyway, anyone else coming to the Beijing Institute of technology next semester?

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone knows it, but I will just probably ask from my Confucius Institute as soon as it is possible: I took and passed HSK and HSKK in March 2016, since the exams are only valid for two years, can I still apply for the scholarship in 2018 or do I need to retake the exams? I would like to apply for the one semester scholarship. 

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Was hoping someone on here might be able to help me out with a question I had about the requirements for the one-year-academic scholarship.

I am travelling to London in February due to take the HSK3 e-test and HSKK basic test. On the Confucius institute scholarship website it seems that to qualify for one year on Chinese language study in China I only have to pass HSK3 with a score of 180 (see screenshot below), which I  don't think I will have trouble with. However, on almost every other requirements page, such as for my local Confucius institute (Manchester),  it says that a score of 270 is required in the HSK3 and 60 in the HSKK.  Could someone tell me which of these is true? I'm working a lot every day to try and get my Chinese up to scratch, but I don't think I've ever got 90% on any test before!

5a5cc8ccd6ff6_confurequirements.thumb.PNG.40246e658c0ce45d20312bde3d0ec7b7.PNG

Thank you xo

confu requirements.PNG

@AaronUK Which type? I was hoping to get the Confucius institute one-year-academic scholarship to study just Chinese language. I would have applied for the one semester scholarship as the requirements are lower but I am ineligible because I have studied in China before just for a month. I know 180 is the passing score for hsk but the screenshot above is the information for scholarship requirements. I also emailed my local Confucius institute to ask for clarification and they replied with this: 

However it does seem a little too good to be true?

hskemail.PNG

@jackbilton sorry for my miscommunication, the website you are looking at is the most up to date, as this is where the scholarships are defined by the scholarship administration themselves.

The CIS requirements were modified last year to increase the requirement, but it looks like they have adjusted it to make it slightly simpler this year.

The different sections in C were previously targeted towards people who had enrolled in Confucius Institute Classroom courses or had Chinese Language/Culture University studies, it looks like they have decided to remove this guidance this year also.

@jackbilton You can only been accepted for one, I have heard mixed stories about people applying for more than one so I wouldn't like to say. You can read through last years posts if you are interested. you can find past threads here. Perhaps you can go to this years posts and write about what you are thinking of applying for, there might be someone who has experiences related to what you are thinking of doing, also people can help with any problems you have so do share even if just positive news.

The British Council had been quite clear responding to my emails before when I was inquiring with them, so you could also reach out to them and ask them how many places they have and how competitive it usually is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi everyone, 

Maybe somebody had a situation similar to mine: I would love to apply for Master Degree Scholarship, this year. But, my HSK 5 and HSKK intermediate exams already expired and I need to take another exam in March 24th. Do you think I will still have a chance to apply for scholarship when results will be available in May or should I give up and try next year? I will have a document of emplyoment agreement, maybe this would help? 

I would say you have a chance — it's worth trying, but don't count on it. Last year, people were still applying in early June and Hanban was still saying people had a chance. But I would get my application in the very day the results come out.

Contact the university you want to apply for. Every university has a different work flow. Some require you apply directly to the program first and then apply for the scholarship. A prerequisite of the scholarship is getting into the program anyhow. So start on the latter while you prepare for the earlier. 

Personal advice, if you can’t pass HSK six and plan on doing a master degree in Chinese, consider only taking the HSK 4 and apply with that score for the master degree plus one predatory year of language study. If you pass HSK 5 you are no longer eligible for the preparatory year. Even if the classes during the preparatory year are mediocre, you can use the time to start reading the texts your future classmates will have read before doing the masters. You will get a lot more out of the degree this way as you won’t have to simultaneous learn new info while studying the info teachers expect you to already know.