Chinese-Forums

2017 Confucius Institute Scholarship

艾墨本

hello everyone,

there's anyone who's been in Qingdao University or Zhejiang University? i'd like to go to one of these universities. which one is better?

i wonder about the student life and place of interest in the city, does anyone know about these cities?

10 hours ago, happiness47 said:

hello everyone,

there's anyone who's been in Qingdao University or Zhejiang University? i'd like to go to one of these universities. which one is better?

i wonder about the student life and place of interest in the city, does anyone know about these cities?

Hey Happiness,

If you look at the forums directory, you can find two sections that would be better suited for finding your answer rather than asking in a thread about scholarships.

The first is about specific universities: Universities in China

The second is about specific locations: Life, Work, and Study in China in General

You can also use the search function in the far top right.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, everyone! I just asked my local CI about applying through them and they told me that I can't because I'm not one of their students. I study by myself w/ a combination of different apps and MOOCs and I've already taken the required exams. I've considered getting a recommendation from one of my MOOC professors from Peking University (I've been assisting her for more than a year now) but I doubt that's allowed. Any advice?

@Suntory The CIS is only for CI classroom students. You need to look into CSC (Chinese government scholarships) at http://www.csc.edu.cn/

(although the website seems to be down right now).

Roughly, your options are the University Scholarships (apply directly at the target university), applying via your embassy or, if you're in Europe, the EU Window scholarship. There may be others I'm not aware of. There's a separate forum for CSC scholarship applications here, it's got all the info you need. Good luck!

@Jellyfish I seem to recall the CIS being available to non-CI students as long as you did well enough in the HSK, but after a week or so of asking around (we only have 7 possible recommending institutions in my country),  I think you're right. One CI here did give me a tiny glimmer of hope. They did say, however, that if they ever came around to recommending me, it would only be to their partner institution and nowhere else. And thanks for wishing me luck! I really need it.

• New Members

Heu guys, do u have any idea if it's possible to change university while already started the Ci scholarship in China? I just started studying in Qingdao but I'd love to move out somewhere else. If anyone had such experience? 

@Véroniq I didn't try to change university and don't know anyone who did. As far as I remember, changing uni (or major) and transferring your scholarship is not possible. Probably best to ask one of your teachers about this.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you unhappy in Qingdao? Anything this year's applicants should know about before applying there?

Hope things work out for you one way or another :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 2:45 AM, Jellyfish said:

@Véroniq I didn't try to change university and don't know anyone who did. As far as I remember, changing uni (or major) and transferring your scholarship is not possible. Probably best to ask one of your teachers about this.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you unhappy in Qingdao? Anything this year's applicants should know about before applying there?

Hope things work out for you one way or another :)

Yeah I had friends that tried to do this and she's right that its not possible. If you want to change your University, you have to reapply for the scholarship again :/

• Helpful 1

Hey,

I intend to apply for CI Scholarship One-year non-degree Chinese program starting in September 2018. I am not a student of Confucius Institute, but I was informed by them, upon my many visits to their office, that being a student of Confucius Institute is not a requirement. I also send email to another branch of CI and they confirmed that it's not a requirement to be CI student. Additionally, according to the requirements 'application is open to CI students,  overseas language teachers, the Chinese language major students and excellent HSK performers'. I am due to take my HSK 3 and HSKK (Beginner) in few days, get results by mid-April. Do you think that it is possible for me to get accepted as long as I score high in HSK 3 exam? I am seriously worried now after I read here that it's open only to CI students, I really hope this is not right. 

8 hours ago, pan.kasper said:

Hey,

I intend to apply for CI Scholarship One-year non-degree Chinese program starting in September 2018. I am not a student of Confucius Institute, but I was informed by them, upon my many visits to their office, that being a student of Confucius Institute is not a requirement. I also send email to another branch of CI and they confirmed that it's not a requirement to be CI student. Additionally, according to the requirements 'application is open to CI students,  overseas language teachers, the Chinese language major students and excellent HSK performers'. I am due to take my HSK 3 and HSKK (Beginner) in few days, get results by mid-April. Do you think that it is possible for me to get accepted as long as I score high in HSK 3 exam? I am seriously worried now after I read here that it's open only to CI students, I really hope this is not right. 

Hi! We're sort of in the same boat. The difference is that the CI's here insist that being a student is a requirement, so in that regard, I think you should have fewer issues. After almost a month of struggling with this and finally getting a recommending institute, I hope my info can be of some help. I've emailed Hanban about my situation (even clarified it again), and they have never said that being a student is required. They only say that I should introduce myself to a CI and let them get to know me. They said the same thing to my online teacher. Also, in the online application, one of the questions is "Have you ever studied Chinese in Confucius Institute?" and you can choose "No." There's a notion that being a CI student increases one's chances at getting the scholarship though, but I don't know how true that is.

You might already be aware of this too, but if you're getting your results by mid-April, make sure to check the application deadlines for your school choices. Hanban says it's June 20 for September 2018, but some schools have it much earlier (May). Good luck!

• Helpful 2

@SuntoryI really wonder to what degree does being or not being a student of CI affects the process of application. Just yesterday I took HSK 3 and HSKK (went pretty well I think), going to get results in a month and after that, I intend to immediately apply. At the exam venue, I also met few people who are applying for CIS, none of them is a classroom student of CI, so I guess it is possible to get awarded a scholarship even if you only self-study. What about you? Did you choose the universities already? The thing for me is that my CI partner university is Beijing University of Foreign Studies, which is a great school, but I would rather live in a different city than Beijing so I can assimilate more and be forced to use Chinese on a daily basis. I was thinking about Wuhan or Chongqing University. But again, the most important thing for me is to get accepted.

Are you applying for the Language Program or TCSOL?

Hey! So I'm applying for the Confucius Institute Scholarship for one year of Chinese language study. I'm reading what documents I need and one of them is 'Recommended letter of recommendation from the head of the agency'. What does this mean? Does it mean a reference, and if so, I was going to ask my Chinese teacher from the Confucius institute at my university. Or does it have to be the 'head' of the Confucius Institute? 

For the one year Chinese language study do I need one or two references letters? Would it look better if I had two? (I have two different Chinese teachers)

Does it need a stamp from the Confucius Institute or just a signature from my teacher? How many words?

Thanks in advance, your help is appreciated :)

My first post here as I have been lurking for the past few months.

Has anybody found the application website rather buggy?

Firstly, I am trying to retrieve my password (Hotmail/Outlook) and I am not receiving any password recovery emails.

Secondly, I have somehow managed to log in with my username but I am seeing someone else's whole application from Sudan including scans of their HSK certs, passport.. the works! I am based in the UK!

The website is not secured (https) and we are submitting highly sensitive information on here including scans of our passports etc. 

11 hours ago, 芒果乾 said:

Firstly, I am trying to retrieve my password (Hotmail/Outlook) and I am not receiving any password recovery emails.

Secondly, I have somehow managed to log in with my username but I am seeing someone else's whole application from Sudan including scans of their HSK certs, passport.. the works! I am based in the UK!

The website is not secured (https) and we are submitting highly sensitive information on here including scans of our passports etc. 

Chinese government website tend to be buggy, period.

To your privacy concerns, they are well founded. That is life in China in a nutshell. Online security and privacy are nearly non-existent.

On 4/18/2018 at 12:47 PM, 芒果乾 said:

Oh wow.... that's pretty freaky. I've only encountered one issue with the website so far, and that's with trying to change my password. The button doesn't work.

Maybe you can email scholarships@hanban.org about it. Also, assuming you haven't submitted anything yet, maybe you should consider just signing up for a new account to start fresh?

@艾墨本I am still scratching my head regarding that considering Hanban are a huge governmental organisation and have the financial firepower to do a lot. If the University of Manchester (which is small fry) can secure their website for their Study China programme, then so can Hanban.

@SuntoryI have completed part of the application.. like uploaded a scan of my passport so using the same login is better. The worst comes to worst I will have to register again. What I am concerned about is that I do not want to become a victim of identity theft or having accounts taken over.. I am very careful when giving out personal details on websites to reduce this possibility.

I have sent an email to Hanban regarding the password recovery on Wednesday (in Chinese) but they have not replied yet lol.

Hello Everyone!

I have a question of a practical (I guess) nature. My exam results for the March HSKs have just been released and to my surprise I passed all four I attempted. 

My question would be which "combination" of results would be best if I want to apply for a one-year scholarship?

HSK 3 with high scores + HSKK intermediate           or         HSK 4 with barely passing scores + HSKK intermediate

Képkivágás.PNG

• Good question! 1

On 4/20/2018 at 9:59 AM, 芒果乾 said:

@SuntoryI have completed part of the application.. like uploaded a scan of my passport so using the same login is better. The worst comes to worst I will have to register again. What I am concerned about is that I do not want to become a victim of identity theft or having accounts taken over.. I am very careful when giving out personal details on websites to reduce this possibility.

I have sent an email to Hanban regarding the password recovery on Wednesday (in Chinese) but they have not replied yet lol.

In case you haven't heard from Hanban yet, maybe you can upload a blank photo or some other placeholder to replace the scan of your passport to get your info out of that account since it's already compromised and, from my experience, changing passwords doesn't seem to be an option right now. I'm pretty careful about giving out my personal info too, so I get how scary this must be for you and I hope you can resolve it soon.