Learn Chinese in China
柏锦鸿 (bǎijǐnhóng)

Query about usage of 就在

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

A new member of the forum here (albeit I’ve been lurking around for a while). I think these forums are a great resource.

Re: my standard of Chinese, I used to be a bit over HSK 4 level but, due to a lack of use and a dearth of studying, have since dropped back to HSK 3½-ish. I’m now in the process of rectifying this and have just started a long-term studying binge. One of the things I’m doing is reading some simple stories, and following on from this have a question on a sentence I read in Mandarin Companion’s ‘The Secret Garden’:  就在李叶想回去的时候,她发现了一只小鸟

In particular, I was wondering about the use of 就在. Does this change the emphasis in the sentence from ‘when’ something happened to ‘just as’ something happened? i.e.:  

… 的时候, … = When …, …

就在 … 的时候, … = Just as …, … 

So the sentence would translate as: “Just as Lǐyè wanted to go back/thought of going back, she discovered/found a small bird.” This would seem to make sense, but I can't remember seeing this structure before. If so, is this the typical structure you should use if you want to describe a second thing happening very quickly after a first thing starts?

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Is that the whole sentence?

Happy_hyaena - yes, it's the whole sentence.

This is just a regular use of 就, not a special structure. 在...的時候 is a structure, and a 就 has just been added on the front end of it.