Chinese-Forums

“唉!谁让今儿个没开张哪!”

Fred0

In this sentence a salesman has just made a sale in which he has given the buyer a good deal. He hangs his head dispirited (垂头丧气)and says “唉!谁让今儿个没开张哪!”  

I understand that 今儿个 is colloquial for "today," and 开张 here means "first sale of the day."  The translation is "What can I do? This is my first deal today." I would like to understand how it is that this is what this sentence is saying. It seems to me that there is something to learn here. Thanks.

I see. The problem is 誰讓. 哪 is just a 語氣助詞(modal particle) like 嗎/啊/呢 that has no direct translation.

I don't know if I can explain it properly. Maybe you should just treat 誰讓+phrase as an idiom. The meaning probably developed along the line of "who is to blame that... / it's nobody's fault that..."

An example: 誰讓我是你女朋友呢 -- Don't complain, coz I'm your girlfriend. Or I can't complain, coz I'm your girlfriend.

Yeah, I know it's not satisfactory. I'll try and see if I can find a better explanation.

• Like 2

I like the explanation here: http://www.faqoverflow.com/chinese/2250.html

"expresses weak causality with a mood"

In this case, the reason he is giving a deal is that "今天都沒開帳", and he's sighing about it. There is no need to connect 沒 or any negative item with 誰讓.

• Like 1

Would it not be appropriate to interpret this as a rhetorical question?  

OP example:

"Fine, I'll take the deal.  Who made it so that I still hadn't made a sale today?"

Publius example:

"Yeah, I'll do it, but who made you my girlfriend again?"

陈德聪 linked example:

"I have to do what you say, but who mad you boss anyway?"

In my mind it's definitely a complaining tone of voice.

• Like 1

Yes it's rhetorical. But the tone can be varied depending on the context.

For example, resignation in OP's example.

Teasing/dismissive, as in 誰讓你不聽老人言呢,吃虧了吧? or in one usage of my example, 我當然有權管你了!誰讓我是你女朋友呢?

And to answer Fred0's question, the syntax is 誰讓 + phrase. The phrase is a factual statement 今儿个没开张, 沒 simply means 'hasn't' and is not linked with 誰讓. This fact (I hasn't made a sale today) is cited as a reason, but the causality is rather weak as pointed out in 陳德聰's link.

• Like 1