Chinese-Forums

Can you get a work visa with a criminal record if the job is NON-teaching?

MilesM

I've pretty much established from a number of people and other sources that China is cracking down on foreign teachers with criminal records and not granting them visas (at least in the major cities like Shanghai and Beijing). However, does anyone have any knowledge about whether or not it's feasible/easy to get a work visa if have a criminal record and doing NON-teaching work? I got a DUI in 2015 (in the United States) and several employers have told me that they wouldn't be able to get me approved for a work visa to teach English unless I went to some tiny, rural town where the owner of the school is in good with the relevant local authorities.

I want nothing more than to work in China (specifically Shanghai) next year, but I need to know if it's even feasible for me to get a work visa anymore. I have a degree in Economics and am planning to get a graduate degree in Chinese-English interpretation, so I feel like there are non-teaching opportunities for me in Shanghai assuming I can get that visa.

Thanks so much for any information you can give me!

No real knowledge, but I'd say it's possible if you can find an employer who's willing to argue your case. Unless you have a very particular set of skills, they're more likely to just move onto the next candidate. Might be worth firing off a few emails to Shanghai visa agencies - you won't be the first to ask the question.