Chinese-Forums

Organisation of 2018 CSC topics

roddy

Before we start new topics for the 2018 round of applications (which we'll do once the 2017 round has settled down), I'd like to look at how to organise them.

Currently we just have the one general topic. That seems to work ok, but presumably not all 1,185 posts are relevant to everyone. In the past we've had a separate one for the EU Window, and I think also one for applicants in the Philippines. I've never applied for the CSC, so I don't know how much variation there are between the various pathways, or even what all the pathways are. I'm hoping current and former applicants can advise on...

1) What are the different pathways - via embassies, universities, there's an EU pathway, I've seen reference to an African one, etc...

2) Is it worth having separate topics for these? Do you volunteer to write them?

3) What info can be added / updated for the sticky post for the general / specific topics. I think that one's been copied and pasted across the last few years, not sure how much updating has been done. 

4) Any other resources we could do with (and that people are willing to help create). A list of application status messages and what they mean in English? Timelines showing in general what happens when? A general guide to how accommodation works for CSC students, with some example pictures?

5) Personally I feel there's a lot of posts made which are more for moral support and anxiety-relief than passing on information and assistance. "Has anyone heard anything yet" and "It'll be ok, just relax". I can understand the need for these, but they make it harder to follow the actual information. Perhaps discourage these or direct them to a more general "CSC worry and panic" topic?

6) A message for those currently winning scholarships - congratulations, obviously. But also, please don't forget us. Your experience, both in the application and in the coming year of study, is going to be like gold to next year's applicants. Do stick around.

• Like 2

I think that's a good idea, at the moment when people see that there 1,185 posts I think it either discourages them from reading it or they just post a new question without checking if it has already been asked.

Is it possible to have a pinned post with choices, so the different sections as you suggest can be accessed from one place?

I am not going to be applying myself and I have no knowledge of the subject but I do agree it could be more accessible so as not to put people off.

Even those of us who aren't going can still find it interesting to read about the process and peoples experiences.

23 hours ago, roddy said:

1) What are the different pathways - via embassies, universities, there's an EU pathway, I've seen reference to an African one, etc...

CSC applications can be made via embassy and University. The process is basically the same only differing on who the dispatching authority is and the filling up of the CSC online application. For the embassy track applicants do send applications directly to their target university while embassy track the undergo a selection process via the embassy which then send the final accepted applications to CSC. I am not well vast with the EU,AUN and MOFCOM application windows but I think these are handled by the embassies too.

23 hours ago, roddy said:

2) Is it worth having separate topics for these? Do you volunteer to write them?

I think one is enough because majority are University track applicants. The problem however is repetitive questions being asked that sometimes have already been answered and the tension towards the final days of results. My suggestion would be to include something in the sticky post that directs applicants to maybe search the forum for an answer to their question before posting and I think a reminder that everyone's tensed which is fine but we should limit the panic posts to make the topic have fewer replies.