Chinese-Forums

Cantonese and cooking

Flickserve

There is a youtube channel about cooking

煮家男人 Bob's Your Uncle

The channel is orientated around cooking and anecdotes of life. The cantonese content is very colloquial and blunt. Typical of how a guy would do some straight talking amongst his friends and good learning material. If you read the Chinese, it doesn't match the spoken cantonese. The English subtitles are very entertaining and are not quite direct translations but capture the essence of the cantonese.

https://youtu.be/mzFvK5rYj8M

• Like 2

His nachos looked good and made me homesick for Texas. They were complete with guacamole!

This is a completely different style of home cooking from what I usually do here in Kunming. He uses lots of packaged ingredients or things that come from jars or cans. Made me realize that I've probably turned kind of savage, or at least native, buying so many things fresh and raw and unprocessed from small mom-and-pop vendors.

This morning the outdoor vegetable market was muddy because of so much recent rain. But the wild mushroom sellers were everywhere, displaying their hand-picked wares in straw baskets. A casual look indicated that prices were down. I'll make some later this week.

Edited to add a question: Do most ordinary Hong Kong home kitchens have a stove with an oven? (They don't here.) 

I just watched the nachos video. His euphemisms are hilarious. "Buying unripe avocados is like pulling a girl and taking her clothes off only to find he's a dude with a full blown hard on. All you can do is stare back at him and can't do anything else...."  Almost perfect English...dude should be replaced with 'bloke'.

When he referred to his wife affectionately as "八婆“, I just cracked up. I could do with going through the vocabulary with a Cantonese teacher. A lot of slang words in his stories escape me. Some of the cooking vocabulary I can guess straight away even though I am not a cook. I don't usually go watch much TV or films but this particular channel has caught my attention appealing to my wavelength.

It's a pity my depth of Mandarin is too shallow to learn in the same fashion for Mandarin.

Ovens tend to be very uncommon in HK. I find it's those who have lived sometime overseas or those very interested in cooking who will have a proper oven.

• Like 1

He is funny and has a very likeable presentation. I enjoyed watching him, even without understanding Cantonese.

Thanks for clarifying the situation with ovens. Sounds similar to the mainland.