Chinese-Forums

Is this legible?

Cherie Lee

5 hours ago, Cherie Lee said:

oh yeah, I still think I'm having issues with those last few strokes, much like I did on my very first post, so I obviously have some kind of hang-up! 

Well you would have had me fooled.

Absolutely gorgeous :)

You know guys,  I just want to take a second and thank you all once again.   All of the subtle, nuanced assistance on improving the carvings is I D E A L for me.   It's how I think and work and precisely what I came here hoping for.

But that's not what was *really going to make this piece good.  In truth, for a whole 'nother reason,  it was doomed...until I got here.  

Here's why:

Did you ever see a ceramic sculpture of an origami crane?   It's *shaped like an origami crane,  but underneath there's no origami.

I was treating the carves as ceramic origami.  

Heartless shapes.  

Somehow, I thought I could carve a *word* (a most respectable conveyance) with meaning, without even respecting how it's written.   *That's hubris, my friends,  so thank you for leading me out of my dark ignorance.

Can't make a paper crane without bothering to know how to fold it

You taught me that most basic foundation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cherie Lee said:

Did you ever see a ceramic sculpture of an origami crane?   It's *shaped like an origami crane,  but underneath there's no origami.

I've never seen that, but I like the comparison (as long as there is no implied beating yourself up about it). I love how much time and enthousiasm you've put into learning how to fold the crane.

My friend did a ceramics course years ago. One of her briefs was to use ceramics to make something not usually made from clay. She very skilfully made an egg box out of the thinnest translucent porcelain. It was made to look almost exactly like one of those cardboard egg boxes you get your eggs in at the store.

It was a wonderful creation of something that was more delicate than the thing it was to protect.

And yes she got a 2:1 in her degree.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm past the point where I am will to share images until the end (almost - I might [will] need help along the way), but in case any one at all is still interested in how it might be going I didn't want to leave ya' hanging.   Yesterday was productive in that I got the piece all blocked out and each line is now etched in stone,  so to speak ('etched in egg' doesn't have the same verbal effect, even if the practical effect remains the same! I'm committed now! ).

I can finally see what 'shape' the negative spaces will cause, and I am positivly thrilled that the effect should be beautifully balanced, and the layout itself is also pleasing me greatly.   So the end of this update is that I am feeling *way* positive so far.  This piece has every reason and opportunity be a rousing success (I never said that before, and now that I did, it felt a little like the "break a leg" superstition!  *Ack*!)

Now all I have to do is stay out of its way and let it come to fruition

Side note: I can't say I know much about forums decorums and such,  (I just figured out 'likes' even existed yesterday [yes, I'm that slow]) but i wanted to congratulate my dear friend  陳德聰  for apparently getting a ton of 'em.  (I tried to find the conversation in question, but did I mention my forum foibles?)  After all, if I knew this stuff, I'd have already collaborated and seen more of Zbigniew's Wonderful Works by now,  too!  I'll get better so I can like you all more, umm, officially, ok?  Winky face! 

Eww - I looked at that post and realized:  I talk to much! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cherie Lee said:

This piece has every reason and opportunity be a rousing success (I never said that before, and now that I did, it felt a little like the "break a leg" superstition!  *Ack*!

I won't wish you good luck on the final stretch then, I'll wish you: Break an egg!

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody....or, at least, hello anyone left.   Remember me?   I was away from here for too long,  but only because I was away from my drill for (far! ) too long.   But I'm clawing my way back. 

I thought I'd post a pic or two just to mark some progress. 

First, the bottom of the egg.   It's not quite done because all fine-tuning happens at the same time, far down its road.  And some of the fraying you might see inside is likely just membrane, which won't be bleached out until the utmost final step (it's always a nice reveal).  These are all reasons I wouldn't normally show works in progress, but at this point I consider you guys co-conspirators!

20171122_083203-1.thumb.jpg.b446f7d24de80359164c06c72c4dcde5.jpg

The flower will be more subtle when done, and while it seems like a rude insert, it's actually my signature, and being the very base of the piece really won't even be seen.

The secondary words are rather subtle, really just scratched into the surface, so they can be easier to see when back lit:20171108_153817-1.thumb.jpg.57cae70ed53b38b2c7b795c4010cc055.jpg

...very grass-scripty.  The lettering is mostly traditional at the top and slides all the way down to nearly abstract as it slides lower down the egg. 

20171108_153754-1.thumb.jpg.6ee48be07c62f98345d37453a235df6d.jpg

So, just a quick peek so you don't all think I disappeared. 

I hope to be able to dedicate serious time now (it's been going on too long! ), so stay tuned! 

It's good to be back

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

MOHi everybody....or, at least, hello anyone left.   Remember me?   I was away from here for too long,  but only because I was away from my drill for (far! ) too long.   But I'm clawing my way back. 

I thought I'd post a pic or two just to mark some progress, and to again elicit your assistance, if you're willing.   

First, the bottom of the egg.   It's not quite done because all fine-tuning happens at the same time, far down its road.  And some of the fraying you might see inside is likely just membrane, which won't be bleached out until the utmost final step (it's always a nice reveal).  These are all reasons I wouldn't normally show works in progress, but at this point I consider you guys co-conspirators!

20171122_083203-1.thumb.jpg.b446f7d24de80359164c06c72c4dcde5.jpg

The flower will be more subtle when done, and while it seems like a rude insert, it's actually my signature, and being the very base of the piece really won't even be seen.

The secondary words are rather subtle, really just scratched into the surface, so they can be easier to see when back lit:20171108_153817-1.thumb.jpg.57cae70ed53b38b2c7b795c4010cc055.jpg

...very grass-scripty.  The lettering is mostly traditional at the top and slides all the way down to nearly abstract as it slides lower down the egg. 

20171108_153754-1.thumb.jpg.6ee48be07c62f98345d37453a235df6d.jpg

So, just a quick peek so you don't all think I disappeared. 

I hope to be able to dedicate serious time now (it's been going on too long! ), so stay tuned! 

It's good to be back

• Like 1

I'm so sorry,  I think I just reposted a previous post, but it's an appropriate re-introduction, I suppose.   It's time for me to come back and offer my final posting on this site. It's the end of this story and the ending has been long in coming. Please bare with me a few moments longer, and we will begin our tale anew.....

• Like 2