Chinese-Forums

HSK 6 Writing, HSK6 Computer Test. Some Advice.

RichS

Hi everyone. I'm planning on taking the HSK 6 relatively soon. I'm able to score pretty consistent 70-80 on the listening and reading sections during practice tests. I've pretty much ignored handwriting for the two years I've been studying though, so even though I'm starting to work on it now and trying to get through 50 characters a day, it's gonna be a long time before I get up to a decent level.

Luckily though, there's the computer based test which I can do. So I've got a couple of questions about the computer test, and the writing section.

Regarding the computer test, based on the one on the Hanban website, the audio part is WAAYYY harder than the paper based. This is because after the question is read out, the system seems to gives you seven second timer to go over the question and answer it before it dissappears forever! Also on section 2 and 3 of the test, where the questions come in order you can't read the questions along with the audio and observe what you're listening for. Is this the way it works in the test? Seems quite a hinderance.

Secondly, on the paper test you can make notes on the margins of your sheet etc. Are you allowed a sheet of paper to make notes while doing the internet/computer test?

Thirdly, aside from the Hanban site, is there a way of doing an authentic computer based mock test?

Lastly, regarding the reading, I've looked around and I don't seem to be able to find a really good explanation of exactly whats expected for the writing test. I know I have to retell the story in around 400 characters, but in what format? For example, if the story is from the perspective of "Me" for example "我那天起得晚,一看太阳已经出来了就马上把卧室收拾好了赶忙去工作“

In that circumstance should I "Retell" using 我那天起得太晚,立即整理房子然后忙去工作 from the first person, or should I say something like "故事的作者”. I.e should I retell the story from the same perspective as the author or tell it from the perspective of a reader.

Secondly are there any specific formatting guidelines I have to adhere to.

Thanks. Rich

• 2 months later...

21天 will work. the writing section is not complex, just remember to practice whole mock exams including this section to test your stamina levels till the end. You just need to summarize without adding any new content and keep the basic ideas same as the original piece. If you can remember places and names better, then use properly linkers between sentences and add a few chengyu in the mix. I normally used 3rd person to write this section.