Chinese-Forums

Finding a good program in China

Kees Stijne

• New Members

Dear Forum,

I am a bachelor student living in the Netherlands, and am almost done with my program. I will likely be done at the end of this year (December) and since master programs at my university don't start until september I was looking for something to fill my time. Chinese language learning has been a hobby for me this past year as I was looking for something to challenge myself, and now would like to take this hobby up to the next level, an immersion program in China for 4-6 months.

I have been looking around the internet on what seems to be a good place to study, I would like to learn in a 1 on 1 or small group setting as to give me a break from university style learning. I also do not want to learn how to write as I am afraid this will take up much of my time. Is it true that at Chinese universities you are forced to learn how to write? I also do not care much for HSK testing as I do not require the certificate for anything. I would enjoy a city with few foreigners so that I am forced to speak Chinese 24/7, this way I think my Chinese would improve the most. 

I have been looking at CLI in Guilin and Keats in Kunming but they are asking a lot of money (like upwards of 10,000 USD). Also there have been mentions that the local dialect differs from the official language and I'm scared that I would learn an unintelligible accent. Can anyone recommend any programs, or websites/forums where I can continue my search for a good program that satisfies my needs? :wink:

Thanks in advance, 
Kees Stijne

What do those prices include? Accommodation, meals, how many hours a week? I suspect for an inclusive package that's not such a bad price - you could probably do cheaper organising it yourself, but that's always the case.

Personally, in your situation I'd be inclined to mix up study and travel - one month in Kunming, a month travelling to practice what you've learned, month in Guilin, etc, etc.

• Like 1

If you would a different form of teaching and an immersive situation have a look at Living the Language (LTL). This might suit you.

Disclaimer: I have never been there but I do need to say that I do contribute to one of their blogs.

Have a look at their website http://www.livethelanguage.cn/

• New Members

Hi Kees,

Firstly, I'd go along with the advice from Roddy, experiencing a few areas in such an amazing country might be far more rewarding.

That said; I looked at the link from Shelley, that looks really great and I think I'd also like to do something like that when I'm next in-country. It looks like they have multiple locations, perhaps offering you the chance to pick it up in a couple of Cities. Especially as you've already invested time into learning this language, a few intensive sessions and a little travel in-country might really help you develop your language skills.

Good luck with your studies, both language and academia.

Cheers,

David.