Chinese-Forums

How to optimize Chinese language learning in China ?

kouch

Hi everyone.

Last year, I went to China for a semester as an exchange student.

Here in France, I am a Foreign Languages Student (English and Chinese). When I went to China, of course my main goal was to improve my Chinese skills but unfortunately, I was not able to focus as much as I wanted on Chinese because my English classes required a huge work. 

Despite the fact that I skipped a lot of Chinese classes, that I was not really focusing on what the teacher was saying, and that I barely opened my books to work on my vocabulary, I still noticed, when coming back to France, that I had improved a lot. But not as much as I wanted.

So I decided to go back to China to focus on Chinese language only. I got the scholarship and I'll be there for a year.
Now, I want to hear from your experiences. How did you optimize Chinese language learning in China ? What was your daily routine when it came to learning Chinese ? What was for you the thing that helped you the most ? A year is a lot and nothing at the same time... 
Just for your information, I am HSK 4.

Thank you for your help !

Kenza