Chinese-Forums

Taiwan night market snacks 台湾夜市小吃

abcdefg

The ice cream thing (花生冰淇淋) is one of my favorite Taiwanese night market snacks. Basically shaved peanut brittle, ice cream (taro 芋頭 is my favorite), cilantro/coriander leaves, wrapped up in a 餅. Delicious.

Fantastic post. The food in Taiwan is incredible. Really makes me miss it.

• Like 2

10 out of 10, Thank you. It must be so wonderful and liberating to be able to wander around and eat what ever you like, your only fear being that you don't like it.

The sign in the tenth picture made me laugh, just like me getting a stroke wrong. (Fned, instead of Fried) just shows if you are not familiar with the writing the mistakes you can make.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OneEye said:

Basically shaved peanut brittle, ice cream (taro 芋頭 is my favorite), cilantro/coriander leaves, wrapped up in a 餅. Delicious.

So good to know this was not just a once-off, @OneEye. At first I thought the freshly-chopped leaves had to be mint, but indeed they were cilantro 香草。Another very interesting combination of flavors!

Just curious, does Tokyo have something similar?

8 hours ago, Shelley said:

It must be so wonderful and liberating to be able to wander around and eat what ever you like, your only fear being that you don't like it.

@Shelley -- I thought about your severe allergy at the ice cream booth that @OneEye mentioned.  And it's true that several places offered food with a sauce that tasted as though it probably contained finely-ground nuts. Would have been extremely tough for you to navigate these waters safely.

@abcdefg I hope you eventually got to try their sausages (I loooove them!) and their oyster cakes 蚵仔煎! It's great that you finished off with the peanut ice cream roll, not to be missed in Taiwan!

I actually think that Taiwan is the land of bubble tea, chicken or pork chops, and oyster cakes/omelettes. Going on a food trip in Taiwan was absolutely divine!!!

Oh, and if you go to Jiufen, there's a nice pineapple cake store beside the candy crush store that sells really nice and buttery (albeit pricey) pineapple cakes. Suuuuper worth it for ts buttery pineapple goodness. My mouth is watering just typing this. I seriously wished I bought more!!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lrumin94 said:

I hope you eventually got to try their sausages (I loooove them!) and their oyster cakes 蚵仔煎! It's great that you finished off with the peanut ice cream roll, not to be missed in Taiwan!

I had 蛾子煎 in 台中 only a day or two before。That's definitely a great dish! Last night I wanted to focus on things I had not sampled before. Been to Taiwan three or four times now. Thanks for the tip about the pineapple cake store.

I think 微熱山丘's pineapple cakes are pretty good. Very happy every time friends brought some to me from Taiwan. Perhaps I should go to one of its Hong Kong stores to have some this weekend.

Friends say 海邊走走 egg rolls are also very good.

• 1 month later...

Great post, oh to be back in Taiwan again, how I miss it! Or....well...my stomach misses it!!!  Taiwan night markets are such a treasure, I really enjoyed the mix of Chinese and Japanese style foods available in Taipei night markets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Taiwan night markets are such a treasure, I really enjoyed the mix of Chinese and Japanese style foods available in Taipei night markets.

I could not agree more! So many imaginative selections. Dangerous place! (Easy to overdo it. Hard to hold back.)