Chinese-Forums

Temporary residence permit [Beijing to Shanghai]

Minano

• New Members

Hi all

I am planning to do some research in China. The current plan is that I start my trip at my host institution in Beijing (for about 1 month), after which I will be visiting research collaborators in Shanghai for a couple of months, before I go home.

Will it be possible/legal to make this relocation if I obtain my residence permit from my host institution in Beijing? I will be arriving on an X1 visa.

Thank you! I hope you can help me.

Are you sure about the X1 visa? That would usually be for long term study - in your case I'd expect an X2 visa. These don't need residence permits, you just rely on the visa. I'd avoid the X1 if possible, as you'll have to waste time doing the medical and residence permit application.

In either case - as long as you have a valid visa or residence permit and you've got a good reason for being where you are, I don't think it'll be a problem. You do need to register with the local police station wherever you stay (usually handled for you at hotels or hostels), but you just say what you're doing and they register you.

• New Members

Thank you for the reply! I will be staying in China for exactly 6 months in total so indeed it would be possible with an X2 visa. The standard instructions from the university described the X1 visa process, so I never really considered X2 until now - but it sounds like a good fit.