Chinese-Forums

Feedback on song

Chinesesri

• New Members

You technically cannot separate :). Please comment if the song sounds generally ok tonally or if there is something to improve. Also, I'd really appreciate suggestions for other songs to enjoy learning  Mandarin.

Yes, knowing right from the start how fundamental tone is to a word's meaningwe make Herculean efforts in our learning to remember the tone of every word we meet.

Then we listen to our first Chinese song, and have to deal with the shock of hearing the singer throw it all out of the window. I've still not got over it. Maybe I've yet to discover that in some contexts the writing system too is laid aside in favour of Pinyin. The sense of shock (and betrayal) wouldn't be any greater.

• Like 1

I am sorry, I do not feel qualified to comment on the song either from a tonal point of view or the quality of the singing. My only thought is that learning a tonal language through song may not be the best approach.

Or at least don't try and learn tones while singing, learn songs for vocabulary but learn tones separately, but I wouldn't do it until I had mastered my tones.

• New Members

Thank you for your feedback. I'm looking for Chinese native speakers to practice tones in an immersive environment. I'm sure with friends my speaking ability in correct tone and singing both will improve.