Chinese-Forums

Visa system update

Kayres

Hi everyone. Do you know anything about updating of the visa policies in a lot of cities in China?
Situation goes like this: I found a company Field International Education. There is nothing bad on them in the internet. Sent them all the documents for the work visa and after some time they said there will be a delay because the Bureau in Heze going through an update of visa policies. After almost two months they finally said that because of this system update they will be able to make work visa only on September 25. Also they said that they need me to start working on September. Well, you know, come on L visa and they will make Z visa afterwards. Smells fishy, right? Even though they offer to pay for the L visa and Z visa afterwards, agree to include some new terms in the contract. For example, in case they failed to make work visa in two months, there will be no breach penalty, they pay for ticket back home and in case there will be problems with police they will pay the fine. The only problem is, that the contract without work visa means nothing, right?

What do you think about that?

"There is nothing bad on them in the internet."

All that tells you is that they're very new. Even the best of companies can have negative reviews within months, either from teachers with unrealistic expectations or sabotaging competitors.

I wouldn't recommend coming on an L visa. I might consider it if a) you are dealing directly with the school you're going to, not an agent, b) you've spoken to someone already working there, c) you have a plan B for if you don't have the Z visa very quickly, and d) actually I probably wouldn't do it anyway.

All those contract terms are going to do is prove to anyone reading it that you knew you were doing something you shouldn't, and I doubt your chances of getting any money in any case. I'd tell them you'll come on a Z visa, with a specific employer and place of work. Otherwise, keep looking, and try to talk to schools directly rather than agents. However for people such as yourself (non-native English teacher, yes?) China is becoming less and less hospitable. Good luck.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, roddy said:

However for people such as yourself (non-native English teacher, yes?) China is becoming less and less hospitable.

Yeah. I'm planning to earn some money and get a degree from a native country. It would make everything much easier. For now I can get Z visa only if it's issued for another occupation, like a manager or something. I understand that my English is definitely lower than the one natives have. That's why i search for a job in a small cities with no high expectations of teacher, but nowadays you can't get any teacher visa in China.
As for the situation with company - they said it's ok with them if I want to wait for Z visa and they offer to come on L only because of the parent's pressure. They are rather displeased that the school doesn't has teacher yet.

13 hours ago, roddy said:

"There is nothing bad on them in the internet."

All that tells you is that they're very new.

I have an acquaintance from my country. He said he has been working for them for three years already and there were no problems with money or anything.

So, I've decided  to wait for Z visa. It seems, however, no one knows about those visa system updates in Entry and Exit bureaus, though... As one of the agents told me, there are so many visa policy changes lately, especially when they slightly different for all the provinces, that they don't know if those visa system updates real or not.

Thank you all for your replies.

• Like 1

Ok, if you know someone working for them for three years and he's happy, that changes things a lot. Also, Heze - it's the kind of backwater provincial place where rules get bent and visas fall into people's passports.

Depending on how keen you are to get there, in these circumstances I might go over on the L visa and just make clear that I won't work until I have the proper documentation, if it gets me there faster.

I am a little confused about the situation though. It sounds like an agency - are they definitely placing you in a specific school? Is it the same one as your friend? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, roddy said:

I am a little confused about the situation though. It sounds like an agency - are they definitely placing you in a specific school? Is it the same one as your friend?

Well, that's the thing I'm not sure about. According to them they are the big company with 40+ branches across China and the one in Heze is a newly opened branch. They opened on this spring. On the other hand, according to this friend they have a central office in Beijing and they rent teachers to other training centers that work for them. Central office provides teaching materials and teachers, but they pay for the teachers. He said, his school pays 10 000 to the central office for every year he renewed the contract. Not sure how it all really works, but if they work under the same name and central office provides all the teaching stuff - it's kinda their branch.

Ok, that changes things again. There's always teething problems at a new branch, and sorting out visas can be the biggest one. It's entirely possible the 'visa system update' was actually 'we're not sure how to apply for visas and are just figuring it out'. They may not have figured it out yet.

It could be a branch they own, but sounds more like a franchise arrangement. Doesn't make a great deal of difference for a teacher, it all depends on how good your local bosses are. Where's your friend? Ideally you want to end up in the same place, if he's happy. If that's not possible, another branch of the same organisation isn't a bad option - assuming your friend's branch is good, maybe their other branches are too. It's not 100% guaranteed, but better than choosing a school at random. But I'd go for an established branch over a new branch if possible. 

• Like 1

This time I go with my other friend and there are not too many places that have need for two teachers in one training center. I hope everything will be fine there. As long as they follow the contract it's fine with me.
Thank you again for your replies. Now I just have to wait for the visa. I'll leave a reply if there will be major news, just in case someone else will search information about them.

• Like 2