Chinese-Forums

Anyone studied at Central University for Nationalities?

poohathart

I'm new to all this and am so thrilled to find others that have studied Chinese in China and are willing to share their experiences. :D

I went to Beijing a very long time ago (1989-1990 school year) and haven't been able to return since. I was hoping maybe some one could write back and say if they've been to Zhongyang Minzu Daxue (it was Zhongyang Minzu Xueyuan when I was there) and provide me with updates from "my" old school. :help

Going there was a life-changing event that still affects me today! I'll NEVER forget that year and my dream is to take my husband with me to China and show him where I studied. Any input anyone can give will be GREATLY appreciated! :clap

sorry for my poor english.

poohathart, nice to meet you here, I am really thrilled to find my schoolmate in this forum, hug before my introducing myself. :mrgreen: I

I entered the Center University of Nationality(CUN) in 1997 with the major for computer science. Maybe you will have the memory of the domitroy building 7#,8#, which for the locals,and your foreign students building is adjacent to ours. I think that time you must live there. but after the CUN got the priority of the 211 project(21 centruy, 100 key universitys ), government put a lot of money to rebuild the CUN's infrastructure, CUN truned to be a big building site, foreign students building was leveled down to a new high one, and Nationality Museum was redecorated. The inner innovation, I have no idea of. but president of CUN is changed, and a lot of job recruitments is going on. check this site out.

http://www.cun.edu.cn/index.asp

I am one of the nationality of chinese 55 minor ethnical nation. if you come back you will also find a lot of nationality form all ove china. Mongol from inner Mongolia, Tibetan from Tibet, Uigur from XinJiang.... A lot of ethnical language is spoken. I can't figure their words out, they can't catch either,so we always try to speak in mandarin, funny isnot it. but always we got along with each other. I think CUN is a best place for foreign to feel the ethnical custom. I donot know waht's your major during your study in CUN, so I cannot get some valuable information for you, hope what I am talking can evoke you some best memory during CUN and China.

Hope you Come Back. Best Regards. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I was at CUN for a short visit a few months ago. My impression of it is that it was a very dusty campus. The reason was that, although not a very large campus, major construction work was going on everywhere within it (I can post a photo I took of the place if it's possible here and if someone tells me how :mrgreen: ).

Quote:

"But I would like to know if foreigners can study Uighur and Tibetan there also?"

I think so, as I know some foreign students with good command of Chinese attending lectures intended for Chinese students.

I'm new to all this and am so thrilled to find others that have studied Chinese in China and are willing to share their experiences. :D

I went to Beijing a very long time ago (1989-1990 school year) and haven't been able to return since. I was hoping maybe some one could write back and say if they've been to Zhongyang Minzu Daxue (it was Zhongyang Minzu Xueyuan when I was there) and provide me with updates from "my" old school. :help

Going there was a life-changing event that still affects me today! I'll NEVER forget that year and my dream is to take my husband with me to China and show him where I studied. Any input anyone can give will be GREATLY appreciated! :clap

how appreciate? to be honest ,i am not shame on my broken English, just find way to fix it in furture . yeh, maybe, at your passive periods you chose to came to china . zhongyangminzu university did not change you , you changed youself. just like you made a new wish , got a new feeling . nothing gonna

be changed . i also studied in oversea . i have been to the SouhAfrica ,Netherland,Canada, Egypt. in one half year . unfortunately, i was not

finished my study. just like a traveler who desire a sort of good mood, i am a Non-english speaker, i am a chinese guy , during that time , nothing made me

feel interested. even different culture , scenery, and people. so far , my experience

told me . nothing in the world could change people, except, there is a mature attitude could change people's life.......................... :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

You asked how appreciative I would honestly be. As I stated previously, I am very appreciative of any information about CUN. I am thankful for the time I had there. You said that I came to China during a passive period in my life? Why would you presume to know what period of my life I was in? Then you say that CUN didn't change me but I changed myself. I was unaware that you were intimately involved with the events in my life. If the point of your reply was to make me feel bad, you succeeded!

poohathart,

tongyang was only philosophizing (or trying to :mrgreen: ), so don't take it personally. No need to feel bad.

As I said above, I've got a photo of CUN; so if you send me a private message including your email address, I can attach the photo for you.

Could you tell us your nationality? I am just curious ...

I can venture a guess: Chinese :mrgreen: .

Joking apart, minzu is rendered as "nationalities" in the name of the unitversity but it'd would be difficult to find a translation that is both neat & accurate for it.

I can venture a guess: Chinese :mrgreen: .

Joking apart' date=' [i']minzu[/i] is rendered as "nationalities" in the name of the unitversity but it'd would be difficult to find a translation that is both neat & accurate for it.

I think "ethnicities" is a better translation for minzu.

I think "ethnicities" is a better translation for minzu.

yes, but i thought the "ethnicities" was not generalized all meanings of "minzu".

it doesn't equal " race" , also doesn't make more sense. so , to almost chinese people, i think using "tribe" be the best of interpretation for minzu. beacuse, among 56 "minzu"(pinyin) of china, 55 "minzu" were same race --yellow. expect one, "Uigur from XinJiang" some of them are yellow Uigur , rest of them are white Uigur, however, their appearances are more similar with Caucasian .

I am Hun 's offspring , my grandfather 's "tribe" was a branch of Uigurian ,who have very outstanding type , he always addressed himself "hun" , he ever told me and my brothers "remember , kids, you are Hun's children, "we asked the reasons, he just replied "my grandfather told me.........."

by far, we do not look like our grandfather anymore, (my grandmorther was Mongolian, my morther is chinese.) however ,at least, i am not low face.

:mrgreen:

by the way ,poohathart , HashiriKata is right, i was not hostile to you , also did not want to interfere your life . i just trying to express my own philosophy of life , if i said something wrong or made you feel sorrowful , Apologetic. look, i am prscticing english writing. :mrgreen:

Tongyang, do you mean you are a descendant of the Xiongnu? Is that what you mean by "Hun's offspring?"

you could understand it by your way of thinking, but now,

i have to say "your guess is right, dude ." (sh) (sh (sh) (sh)

Tonyang,

I'm so sorry! I misunderstood your meaning and shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. I feel really stupid for not understanding what you meant. Thanks for the apology although you didn't do anything wrong. I'm the one who owes you the apology and I hope you can forgive me.

It is great that you are able to communicate in English so well. I studied Chinese so long ago and didn't keep practicing as you are. You are doing well to practice...that way you won't forget AND you will improve. Thanks for even writing at all in response to my initial posting.

As I said before I feel really stupid for not understanding your message and even worse for my reply. Thanks for writing back and clearing things up for me. As Winnie the Pooh would say, I'm "of little brain". :-?

Thanks again for your reply,

"poohathart"

Can I clarify that China does **not** have only 56 nationalities? This is a piece of CCP-derived nonsense. There are at least 400 languages spoken in China. I have a book about *all* of China's minorities. In Yunnan province for example, some "nationalities", such as Yi, include dozens of separate and unrelated languages and completely separate ethnic groups that the CCP woudl likee to "merge". There is also the case of a group included I think in the national classification under the Lisu minority that speaks a different language and in fact was previously enslaved by the Lisu people and so is vehemently opposed to being regarded as Lisu, and so, on the ground in Yunnan province, that ethnic group is treated as Lipo rather than Lisu, although they don't speak that language either. This 56 minority business is simply a nonsense - when China started to reform in the 1980s the party announced that more nationalities could apply to be registered, and they received several hundred applications. At that time there were 55 official nationalities. The CCP recognised the Jingpo, making 56, and refused to recognise the other 400 who applied for recognition, as to do so would require them all to be represented in 人大.

• 2 months later...

It has been a couple of years since I have been at CUN. Yet I think of it every day. When I was there they had begun construction on a new foreign students dorm, at least that is what I think it is. Any way, I am very sure it is complete. Weng Laoshi in the Chinese Language School is there as well as Wang Laoshi, Tian Laoshi. I learned an incredible amount from these three teachers. I would hope they are still there teaching. The campus is beautiful and very diverse. I loved the idea that I had the ability to become friends with Tibetans, Uigher, Mongolians and many others of diverse backgrounds and sensibilities. I had the ability to talk not only with the guards but also with the head of the language school. The central fountain was a sight on Friday evenings, as it was timed with music. It brought all nationalities together. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Jin Anqi,

Thank you so much for writing about my beloved school. I long to return and see all the changes. It is so hard to believe it has been more than 15 years now since I was last there. :shock: I have some pictures of CUN on my computer but we were recently displaced due to Hurricane Wilma. My house is uninhabitable due to the fact that there is no roof on it anymore. If you want to give me your email address I can email them to you once I get my computer out of storage. In the meantime if you'd like to email me, my email address is poohathart@earthlink.net. Thanks so much for sharing a bit of your experience with us all. I wish more people would get to experience CUN the way I did.

With warm regards,

Lee

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...