Chinese-Forums

Anyone studied at Central University for Nationalities?

poohathart

Zhongyan Minzu Daxue, Central University for Nationalities...I have to tell you that the courses are really good. All the teachers that I met there were extremely good, really concerned about my learning, and willing to help me in all aspects of life there. You will notice that the university will seems to be empty once that you arrives there. The courses at CUN begins earlier than the regular courses for the rest of students...so initially you will see a lot of empty classrooms and few people...even the university cafeterias will be closed!!! I think the only one which remains opened around the year is the muslim cafeteria, but dont worry the food there is really good. Also, there are many restaurants around minzu.

Once that you begin regular clasess, after 2 or 3 weeks, you will have the option to take extra courses begining at 3pm: cutting paper, caligraphy, taijiquan, music...also, you will have tha chance to practice with students which are coursing the career "teaching chinese for foreigners", every monday and every wednesday. My advice is to take as many extra courses as possible, and dont skip the "fudao ke" (classes with the students).

I was the only spanish speaking person in minzu daxue...however, I met many foreigners which speaks spanish specially in a university just half a mile away minzu...Im not sure if it is BFLU, but it is at the north. Other GREAT resource for me was the Instituto Cervantes, of the Spanish Embassy. This place offers spanish movies every friday and saturday. There is also a very good public library (you can read there or take the books to your home for just 100cuais a year (7cuais =1usd aprox)). They also offers spanish courses, so you will have the chance to meet a lot of people willing to practice their spanish there.

http://pekin.cervantes.es/es/default.shtm

Another resource is post a message at http://www.thebeijinger.com/ asking for language exchange...by the way, a lot of chinese people is willing to practice english...and I mean A LOT!

May I ask you your nationality?

Please dont hesitate to contactme if you need furhter information.

Eduardo

Smithsonians,

this is a big surprise! You know my name, but I have problems identifying you...need some help here... so, are you staying at Beijing while the chinese new year celebration? it is something really amazing...I mean every day, for at least a week, you will here thousands and thousands of fireworks from 18:00 till 23:00. Really it is amazing...I remember last year there even burn a huge hotel on new years eve!!! well...actually it was an accident, but it was true... take a look to this site:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/02/09/china.hotel.fire/

hope to hear from you soon, and please forgive me for haven't identify you...any clues?

Eduardo Antonio

Eduardo : I am Salvadoran-American:D

I speak Spanish so it'd be nice to keep my Spanish strong while i am learning Chinese. Its nice to hear good things of the university! i was in Beijing in the summer to check things out ...i have so many questions still! .jaja do you have msn?

thanks for the advice so far!

Sure!

eduardo_garcia_cabos@hotmail.com

I will be traveling tomorrow all day long. Now I'm at Guadalajara, but tomorrow will be traveling to Merida Yucatan. I have a house there (actually father's house), but it is a little bit old...so I don't have high speed internet access there! anyway I will be available for you quite soon.

I made 4 friends in Beijing willing to practice their spanish. I'm still in contact with 2 of them, so if you wish I can help you to contact them. Both of them youngirls, with a high degree of profesionalism. Eva even lives near Minzu! Anyway, you will have a lot of chances to practice your spanish there.

Glad to hear from you soon.

• 4 weeks later...