Chinese-Forums

Books from ICLP like Chinese Moral Tales etc..

gwr71

Hi, I am new to this forum and to learning chinese.  I found NTNU 9 levels and was intrigued.  I also looked at ICLP at NTU and found that many of the books I can't locate on the net where published by ICLP like Chinese Moral Tales, Chinese Customs and Tradition etc.. Do anyone have these books for sale or in pdf? I may be interested.

Thanks for the pointer.  I am just trying to follow from home a very good guide to learning Chinese.  Here in the Caribbean CI has just partnered with CXC and they have now introduced HSK to the Eastern Caribbean.  Chinese is being added to the basket of languages in the Caribbean.  It shows the growing importance of learning Chinese here.  The difficulty is that St Kitts and Nevis have ties with Taiwan and not PRC.  Therefore I turn to Taiwan to guide me at this point.

I've just checked Amazon in search of any of the books of the 中國語文補充讀物 series, and I've found a second hand copy of the 當代中國短篇小說選 Selected Contemporary Chinese Short Stories for only $1.84. I don't know how reliable the seller is, but I ordered a copy :D Link

Edit: the last book at $1.84 was sold out (maybe a forum member bought it?) and now the only available copy is new and costs $42.40. Or you can buy what looks like an older version of the same book, second-hand copy for $15 Here

Dear All,

Thank you for the valuable info. I was able to go to amazon and find these books. I had already done the search but didn't get these results. One seller had Chinese Moral tales for $788.00.  Another seller had vol 2 for US$30.00.  I also saw vols 3 and 4. I now can identify these books.  

I now ask assistance in locating the following book: Practical Chinese reading and writing vol 2 and workbook.  I tried all the sources I can find on the net but it is currently unavailable. I am right now only interested in finding a source as as time goes by and within my budget I will then buy them.

I now need to identify the books/materials for the following:

1. B2- Listening and Speaking Practice; Chinese Folk Tales 1 and 2; Practical Business Conversation 1 and 2 (NTNU MTC)

2. C1- Chinese idioms; Listening Practice (Intermediate - Advance Level); Introduction to Classical Poetry Appreciation; Advanced Chinese Reading & Writing; Topics on Cross-Strait Difference; Selected Financial News.

Anyone who has done these courses or have some info on them can assist me.  I am trying to follow as close as possible the NTNU 9 levels.  I am at home and don't have the stress of school or exams but I eventually want to travel to Taiwan to spend a month there.  I know my tones are not good but I intend to get better.

On a general book-buying note (and a "Chinese moral tale" of a kind), a word of caution for anyone outside China planning on buying books from Amazon.cn.

I bought a heavy set of new books from Amazon.cn last year. Carriage to the UK was reasonable, costing about £16. The total order came to just over £45.

The books arrived promptly but were very poorly packaged and as a result half the books in the set were damaged quite significantly. Unlike in the UK, where Amazon will pay for books to be returned in these circumstances, the Amazon.cn policy was to refund up to a maximum of 5 RMB for return postage whatever the circumstances.

If this policy itself was objectionable, what made it worse was the fact that the only way of finding out that this is the policy was to actually place an order and then initiate a return; there was no mention anywhere in any of the T's and C's viewable before you place an order, either in English or Chinese, of the fact that Amazon.cn only refunds a maximum of 5 RMB whatever the circumstances.

I took the matter up with my credit card provider. They gave me the contact details of a fairly senior customer service rep for Amazon.uk, who in response to my phone call tried to contact Amazon.cn on my behalf while I waited on the line. No-one who knew anything at Amazon.cn could be got hold of, even though it was Amazon.uk ringing them. So Amazon.uk authorised me to send the books back to China and agreed that my card provider could charge back the cost of the original order as well as the cost of returning the books to Amazon.cn as long as I used a tracked service to send the books and the books arrived back within the standard return window of thirty days.

To meet these requirements I had to use a tracked airmail service. It cost £110. Yes, I did say £110. I'm glad to say all my costs were very promptly charged back to Amazon.cn, who ended up with a pile of damaged and unsaleable books and a bill of £155 to settle. 

I will only buy books from China in future when I can do it in person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zbigniew said:

a word of caution for anyone outside China planning on buying books from Amazon.cn

Hi @Zbigniew, I don't know if you were talking about my post, but those two links I put are from amazon.com, and the sellers of the second-hand books ship from either the USA or the EU, only the new copy at $42.40 is shipped from Taiwan. If possible I try to purchase books from western sites, the Spanish customs are getting a little picky with packs from Taiwan and Asia in general... 

Sorry, Geiko, I was talking exclusively about Amazon.cn. I've never had a problem with goods ordered from other Chinese sellers. Amazon.cn is just impossible to do business with when their return policy is as it is. As my credit card provider put it, Amazon.cn's very questionable return policy would allow them to put anything at all in a package (the wrong item entirely or maybe a pile of bricks) and then insist that to get a refund on the initial purchase price the buyer has to return the package at his own expense.

...And I forgot to say, Amazon.cn never did give me my 5 RMB anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gwr71 said:

I now ask assistance in locating the following book: Practical Chinese reading and writing vol 2 and workbook.

I've found the textbook in Taaze website  for NT$519 = US$ 17.13 (not the workbook, though) here: https://www.taaze.tw/sing.html?pid=11100235962 . The site is all in Chinese, so you'd need to install some type of Chinese input system on your computer. Last month I made an order from this website and it works well, books are really cheap, the expensive thing was the shipping fees to Europe, it costed me more than the books themselves. Besides, I had problems with the customs, I had to pay the VAT 2€ plus 18€ for "handling" my pack, but who said buying Taiwanese books overseas would be easy? ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks

On 8/16/2017 at 2:17 PM, gwr71 said:

I now ask assistance in locating the following book: Practical Chinese reading and writing vol 2 and workbook.

I've found the textbook in Taaze website  for NT$519 = US$ 17.13 (not the workbook, though) here:https://www.taaze.tw/sing.html?pid=11100235962 . The site is all in Chinese, so you'd need to install some type of Chinese input system on your computer. Last month I made an order from this website and it works well, books are really cheap, the expensive thing was the shipping fees to Europe, it costed me more than the books themselves. Besides, I had problems with the customs, I had to pay the VAT 2€ plus 18€ for "handling" my pack, but who said buying Taiwanese books overseas would be easy? ;

for the info. I will check the site.

Dear Geiko,

Having some trouble buying the book on taaze.  My character recognition is not so good. Reached stage with payment methods. any suggestions?

Then you're almost finished! I'll put all the steps just in case. 

1. Once the books are added to your shopping cart, press the cart. At the end of the list of books there are three options, select the first one: 海外空運快遞。

2. Then you have to fill in a form with your address, phone number... 

3. Next step: select payment method. I chose the first one, credit card (信用卡:美國運通,海外信用卡).

4. In the last step, if I remember correctly, you have to enter your credit card details. 

And this should be everything. If you have problems with a particular part, add a screen capture and we'll try to help you (just make sure you delete your personal details). 

need help filling in the form. embarassing as that may seem

購買人資訊
姓名  先生 小姐 手機 (例如:0910888999) 市話(白天)  (例如:0212345678) 市話(晚上) 
海外地址: 1、海外配送或郵寄時間均為白天。
2、香港與中國地區,請以中文填寫地址。
3、其他國家請以英文填寫地址。
郵編區號:
國家:      UNITED STATES     HONG KONG     CANADA     CHINA     MACAU     SINGAPORE     AFGHANISTAN     ALBANIA     ALGERIA     AMERICAN SAMOA     ANDORRA     ANGOLA     ANGUILLA     ANTARCTICA     ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA     ARGENTINA     ARMENIA     ARUBA     AUSTRALIA     AUSTRIA     AZERBAIJAN     BAHAMAS     BAHRAIN     BANGLADESH     BARBADOS     BELARUS     BELGIUM     BELIZE     BENIN     BERMUDA     BHUTAN     BOLIVIA     BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA     BOTSWANA     BOUVET ISLAND     BRAZIL     BRITISH INDIAN OCEAN TERRITORY     BRUNEI DARUSSALAM     BULGARIA     BURKINA FASO     BURUNDI     CAMBODIA     CAMEROON     CAPE VERDE     CAYMAN ISLANDS     CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC     CHAD     CHILE     CHRISTMAS ISLAND     COCOS ( KEELING ) ISLANDS     COLOMBIA     COMOROS     CONGO     CONGO, THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE     COOK ISLANDS     COSTA RICA     COTE D’IOVIRE     CROATIA     CUBA     CYPRUS     CZECH REPUBLIC     DENMARK     DJIBOUTI     DOMINICA     DOMINICAN REPUBLIC     ECUADOR     EGYPT     EL SALVADOR     EQUATORIAL GUINEA     ERITREA     ESTONIA     ETHIOPIA     FAEROE ISLANDS     FALKLAND ISLANDS     FIJI     FINLAND     FRANCE     FRENCH GUIANA     FRENCH POLYNESIA     FRENCH SOUTHERN TERRITORIES     GABON     GAMBIA     GEORGIA     GERMANY     GHANA     GIBRALTAR     GREECE     GREENLAND     GRENADA     GUADELOUPE     GUAM     GUATEMALA     GUERNSEY     GUINEA     GUINEA-BISSAU     GUYANA     HAITI     HEARD AND McDonald ISLANDS     HOLY SEE ( VATICAN CITY STATE )     HONDURAS     HUNGARY     ICELAND     INDIA     INDONESIA     IRAN, ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF     IRAQ     IRELAND     ISLE OF MAN     ISRAEL     ITALY     JAMAICA     JAPAN     JERSEY     JORDAN     KAZAKHSTAN     KENYA     KIRIBATI     KOREA, DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE’S OF     KOREA, REPUBLIC OF     KUWAIT     KYRGYZSTAN     LAO PEOPLE’S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC     LATVIA     LEBANON     LESOTHO     LIBERIA     LIBYA ARAB JAMAHIRIYA     LIECHTENSTEIN     LITHUANIA     LUXEMBOURG     MACEDONIA, THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF     MADAGASCAR     MALAWI     MALAYSIA     MALDIVES     MALI     MALTA     MARSHALL ISLANDS     MARTINIQUE     MAURITANIA     MAURITIUS     MAYOTTE     MEXICO     MICRONESIA, FEDERATED STATES OF     MOLDOVA, REPUBLIC OF     MONACO     MONGOLIA     MONTSERRAT     MOROCCO     MOZAMBIQUE     MYANMAR     NAMIBIA     NAURU     NEPAL     NETHERLANDS     NETHERLANDS ANTILLES     NEW CALEDONIA     NEW ZEALAND     NICARAGUA     NIGER     NIGERIA     NIUE     NORFOLK ISLAND     NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS     NORWAY     OMAN     OTHER     PAKISTAN     PALAU     PALESTINIAN TERRITORY     PANAMA     PANAMA CANAL ZONE     PAPUA NEW GUINEA     PARAGUAY     PERU     PHILIPPINES     PITCAIRN     POLAND     PORTUGAL     PUERTO RICO     QATAR     REUNION     ROMANIA     RUSSIA, FEDERARION     RWANDA     SAINT HELENA     SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS     SAINT LUCIA     SAINT PIERRE AND MIQUELON     SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES     SAMOA     SAN MARINO     SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE     SAUDI ARABIA     SENEGAL     SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO     SEYCHELLES     SIERRA LEONE     SLOVAKIA     SLOVENIA     SOLOMON ISLANDS     SOMALIA     SOUTH AFRICA     SOUTH GEORGIA AND SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS     SPAIN     SRI LANKA     SUDAN     SURINAME     SVALBARD AND JAN MAYEN ISLANDS     SWAZILAND     SWEDEN     SWITZERLAND     SYRIA ARAB REPUBLIC     TAIWAN     TAJIKISTAN     TANZANIA, UNITED REPUBLIC OF     THAILAND     TIMOR LESTE     TOGO     TOKELAU     TONGA     TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO     TUNISIA     TURKEY     TURKMENISTAN     TURKS AND CAICOS     TUVALU     UGANDA     UKRAINE     UNITED ARAB EMIRATES     UNITED KINGDOM     UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS     US PACIFIC ISLANDS     UZBEKISTAN     VANUATU     VENEZUELA     VIETNAM     VIRGIN ISLANDS, BRITISH     VIRGIN ISLANDS, U.S.     WALLIS AND FUTUNA     WESTERN SAHARA     YEMEN     ZAMBIA     ZIMBABWE   

收貨人資訊
同購買人
姓名  先生 小姐 手機 (例如:0910888999) 市話(白天)  (例如:0212345678) 市話(晚上) 
海外地址: 1、海外配送或郵寄時間均為白天。
2、香港與中國地區,請以中文填寫地址。
3、其他國家請以英文填寫地址。
郵編區號:
國家:      UNITED STATES     HONG KONG     CANADA     CHINA     MACAU     SINGAPORE     AFGHANISTAN     ALBANIA     ALGERIA     AMERICAN SAMOA     ANDORRA     ANGOLA     ANGUILLA     ANTARCTICA     ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA     ARGENTINA     ARMENIA     ARUBA     AUSTRALIA     AUSTRIA     AZERBAIJAN     BAHAMAS     BAHRAIN     BANGLADESH     BARBADOS     BELARUS     BELGIUM     BELIZE     BENIN     BERMUDA     BHUTAN     BOLIVIA     BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA     BOTSWANA     BOUVET ISLAND     BRAZIL     BRITISH INDIAN OCEAN TERRITORY     BRUNEI DARUSSALAM     BULGARIA     BURKINA FASO     BURUNDI     CAMBODIA     CAMEROON     CAPE VERDE     CAYMAN ISLANDS     CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC     CHAD     CHILE     CHRISTMAS ISLAND     COCOS ( KEELING ) ISLANDS     COLOMBIA     COMOROS     CONGO     CONGO, THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE     COOK ISLANDS     COSTA RICA     COTE D’IOVIRE     CROATIA     CUBA     CYPRUS     CZECH REPUBLIC     DENMARK     DJIBOUTI     DOMINICA     DOMINICAN REPUBLIC     ECUADOR     EGYPT     EL SALVADOR     EQUATORIAL GUINEA     ERITREA     ESTONIA     ETHIOPIA     FAEROE ISLANDS     FALKLAND ISLANDS     FIJI     FINLAND     FRANCE     FRENCH GUIANA     FRENCH POLYNESIA     FRENCH SOUTHERN TERRITORIES     GABON     GAMBIA     GEORGIA     GERMANY     GHANA     GIBRALTAR     GREECE     GREENLAND     GRENADA     GUADELOUPE     GUAM     GUATEMALA     GUERNSEY     GUINEA     GUINEA-BISSAU     GUYANA     HAITI     HEARD AND McDonald ISLANDS     HOLY SEE ( VATICAN CITY STATE )     HONDURAS     HUNGARY     ICELAND     INDIA     INDONESIA     IRAN, ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF     IRAQ     IRELAND     ISLE OF MAN     ISRAEL     ITALY     JAMAICA     JAPAN     JERSEY     JORDAN     KAZAKHSTAN     KENYA     KIRIBATI     KOREA, DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE’S OF     KOREA, REPUBLIC OF     KUWAIT     KYRGYZSTAN     LAO PEOPLE’S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC     LATVIA     LEBANON     LESOTHO     LIBERIA     LIBYA ARAB JAMAHIRIYA     LIECHTENSTEIN     LITHUANIA     LUXEMBOURG     MACEDONIA, THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF     MADAGASCAR     MALAWI     MALAYSIA     MALDIVES     MALI     MALTA     MARSHALL ISLANDS     MARTINIQUE     MAURITANIA     MAURITIUS     MAYOTTE     MEXICO     MICRONESIA, FEDERATED STATES OF     MOLDOVA, REPUBLIC OF     MONACO     MONGOLIA     MONTSERRAT     MOROCCO     MOZAMBIQUE     MYANMAR     NAMIBIA     NAURU     NEPAL     NETHERLANDS     NETHERLANDS ANTILLES     NEW CALEDONIA     NEW ZEALAND     NICARAGUA     NIGER     NIGERIA     NIUE     NORFOLK ISLAND     NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS     NORWAY     OMAN     OTHER     PAKISTAN     PALAU     PALESTINIAN TERRITORY     PANAMA     PANAMA CANAL ZONE     PAPUA NEW GUINEA     PARAGUAY     PERU     PHILIPPINES     PITCAIRN     POLAND     PORTUGAL     PUERTO RICO     QATAR     REUNION     ROMANIA     RUSSIA, FEDERARION     RWANDA     SAINT HELENA     SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS     SAINT LUCIA     SAINT PIERRE AND MIQUELON     SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES     SAMOA     SAN MARINO     SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE     SAUDI ARABIA     SENEGAL     SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO     SEYCHELLES     SIERRA LEONE     SLOVAKIA     SLOVENIA     SOLOMON ISLANDS     SOMALIA     SOUTH AFRICA     SOUTH GEORGIA AND SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS     SPAIN     SRI LANKA     SUDAN     SURINAME     SVALBARD AND JAN MAYEN ISLANDS     SWAZILAND     SWEDEN     SWITZERLAND     SYRIA ARAB REPUBLIC     TAJIKISTAN     TANZANIA, UNITED REPUBLIC OF     THAILAND     TIMOR LESTE     TOGO     TOKELAU     TONGA     TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO     TUNISIA     TURKEY     TURKMENISTAN     TURKS AND CAICOS     TUVALU     UGANDA     UKRAINE     UNITED ARAB EMIRATES     UNITED KINGDOM     UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS     US PACIFIC ISLANDS     UZBEKISTAN     VANUATU     VENEZUELA     VIETNAM     VIRGIN ISLANDS, BRITISH     VIRGIN ISLANDS, U.S.     WALLIS AND FUTUNA     WESTERN SAHARA     YEMEN     ZAMBIA     ZIMBABWE   

發票資訊
海外購物屬免稅性質,出貨單視同購買憑証,不寄送發票
上一步 下一步

sorry didn't realized that all that info was included

We've all gone through that, don't worry! I still feel nervous when buying in only-Chinese websites. Look at this screen capture, I've written comments on the blanks you have to fill in. 

Edit: the first part is for the buyer details and the second one for the recipient, in case you want to buy something for someone else. If the buyer and the recipient are the same person, maybe filling only one part would be ok, but I filled in everything, just in case. Edit 2: now I see that you can press the button 同購買人,i.e. "the same as the buyer" to avoid repeating everything.

市話 is a local telephone service, they ask you a landline number for the daytime 白天 and the evening 晚上. I left both blank, so it's not necessary. 

S70825-225656.jpg

6 minutes ago, gwr71 said:

結帳發生異常(發卡行3D認證主機回覆認證錯誤),

It seems something has gone wrong when paying, as I understand it, the error happened while verifying your credit card, so my guess is that they couldn't charge you the amount of money. Do you usually buy online with that credit card?