Chinese-Forums

Academic Freedom in China

Angelina

Inspired by a discussion on The Great Firewall, I am trying to start a new discussion on academic freedom in China. 

I am trying not to get too excited about this topic. 

My experience has been positive, in the sense that I have seen worse things in Macedonia. It is not perfect, there are issues, but at least I have the feeling that these issues in China can be addressed. 

How many private universities are there in China? Are there any new public universities that are financially supported by the Chinese Government, but don't have the problems associated with the Stalinist influence. By this, I do not only mean all the things that make people excited, like censorship or purges. I am also interested in things like bureaucracy, central-planning, the overspecialization of scholars. Many of the same issues with bureaucracy are present in Europe as well (Western and Eastern), so I would challenge the traditional Western education/Chinese education division. 

Is there enough academic freedom in China to discuss this? 

Two articles, both written in Chinese. 

The first one is about some of the victims of the Cultural Revolution. It is sad. Meaningless and very sad.

Why?

http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/W_ZJipj5MSrJWcSVQeei8A

The second one is a short history of higher education in China. This is reality. No Cultural Revolution now, thankfully, but, as you can see, it is not perfect.

http://3g.xici.net/d223314108.htm?from=timeline

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi @Angelina

As far as I know there is a small proportion of private universities in China, roughly 30% of all Chinese universities. However, they often found themselves unable to compete with public universities at least financially. Public universities all receive some funding from the government and are overseen by the government (the party) to various degrees.

I remain somewhat critical of Chinese universities on bureaucracy. The overwhelming bureaucracy seen in Chinese universities has the tendency to solidify its own power, offering reasons for university officials to protect their own vested interests, rather than to fulfil their real responsibilities. It does not only corrupt the intended meritocracy in promoting real talents, but distance school bureaucrats from the people they are supposed to serve. For instance, my friend has run into this kind of situation where he needed this person from a school office to make his school card. The lady at that office looked rather indifferent to his request and he had to please this lady in order to make the procedure faster.

I think overspecialization does exist in some cases. I heard about this researcher who has a really creative idea for project but his proposal was denied by his university because the officials did not think that would fit the university’s focuses.

Increasing inefficiency, I think, is often criticized about Chinese universities. It is a real problem. And it is why some scholars endorse the competition among universities.

And just for the sake of curiosity, can I ask what major you are in? I am studying sociology.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hua said:

And just for the sake of curiosity, can I ask what major you are in? I am studying sociology.

I am working in linguistics. 

12 hours ago, Hua said:

I think overspecialization does exist in some cases. I heard about this researcher who has a really creative idea for project but his proposal was denied by his university because the officials did not think that would fit the university’s focuses.

Yes, in linguistics, for example, I have seen too many people overspecialize in the 方言, it is easier to survive the bureaucracy. 

It would be interesting to know how much money is being spent on the 国际化 of Chinese higher education. I wonder if anything would be publicly available. My assumption is that Chinese universities are spending a lot of money on international cultural festivals, instead of investing in services that would actually make it more convenient for international students to learn. 

It would be interesting to know how much money is being spent on the 国际化 of Chinese higher education. I wonder if anything would be publicly available. My assumption is that Chinese universities are spending a lot of money on international cultural festivals, instead of investing in services that would actually make it more convenient for international students to learn. 

@Angelina     

I don't know exactly about their budget on this. From my experience, even for local students the services are inadequate in various cases. Do they provide exchange-partner/ Chinese tutoring/ International student consultation or similar programs in your university? 

19 hours ago, Hua said:

even for local students the services are inadequate in various cases

Right. 

These are some good ideas when talking about academic writing, the biggest issue I have had during my time here. 

https://www.chronicle.com/article/PhDs-Are-Still-Writing/242249?cid=wcontentgrid_hp_9

On Wed Aug 23 2017 at 1:21 AM, Angelina said:

The second one is a short history of higher education in China. This is reality. No Cultural Revolution now, thankfully, but, as you can see, it is not perfect.

http://3g.xici.net/d223314108.htm?from=timeline

I am really impressed by your efforts of understanding Chinese education, something I have been working on too. I agree with the most of the arguments from the article but I want to add something to the discussion on 高等教育扩张. I believe the expansion of education in general is the key for the future opportunities in tertiary sectors or the emerging jobs that require certain educations of the labor force, but China did not coordinate it well and the mismatching had been going on since the expansion. We may have more technic jobs avaliable but those do not match the education attainment of college graduates.

3 hours ago, Angelina said:

These are some good ideas when talking about academic writing, the biggest issue I have had during my time here. 

https://www.chronicle.com/article/PhDs-Are-Still-Writing/242249?cid=wcontentgrid_hp_9

I definitely had problem with writing in English too in my first year in an American university. My problem was that I failed to follow the linguistic conventions of English. For example, I would write something like "excavate the date", by which I meant “挖掘数据”, an common expression in Chinese writing, but that makes little sense to native speakers including my professor.  

12 hours ago, Hua said:

I definitely had problem with writing in English too in my first year in an American university.

I don't think that it is the same, here is something written in Chinese. 

我的课程主要集中在前三年,到了第三年的后半段,我的阅读速度稳稳地超过了每小时400页,写作也从最初的每页四个小时达到了一个小时完成一页,打字的速度更是直接达到了专业打字员的水平。只是还有一个挥之不去的心病,就是我写的东西一定要经过语言校对。相比在国内上中文系的时候,在导师的倡导和鼓励下,常常标榜洋洋万言写完都不需要修改,这是一个巨大的反差。学校提供相关的免费辅导服务,但是因为都是勤工俭学的学生在做,对付本科生简单的作业没问题,而像我这样在文科领域里(偏偏还是语言学)作深度研究的文章,他们修改起来很吃力。我后来都是按照每小时七美金的行价付钱给我的同学,请他们帮我看的。

http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/35SI3iI6XP6zwhtaGwWSqw

4 hours ago, Angelina said:

写一篇外语论文如果想要写得又快又好,不仅需要那种语言的思维速度,而且用语需要正确读起来需要通顺流畅,对非本土学生这难上加难。

阅读更是,一目十行不需要查个别语句的意思,通晓各种习语术语,甚至这种生词用语学习速度对非本土学生非常困难。本土学生可能早有积累,而非本土学生必须快马加鞭地赶上,这种差距确实令人头疼。当话说回来,又有什么办法呢?只能硬着头皮做。

• Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

Academic freedom in China? doesn't exist, at all

At least not in social sciences / humanities at 北大,清华,人大,浙江 universities, might be a bit more lax approach to these matters in some subpar uni, who knows.

Then again, there's no "real" academic freedom in Europe or USA either, if you want a job / funding / keep your job , that is...

3 hours ago, Basilm said:

Academic freedom in China? doesn't exist, at all

At least not in social sciences / humanities at 北大,清华,人大,浙江 universities, might be a bit more lax approach to these matters in some subpar uni, who knows.

Then again, there's no "real" academic freedom in Europe or USA either, if you want a job / funding / keep your job , that is...

I am not familiar with Chinese universities but I'd imagine there is academic freedom in the sciences as it keeps Chinese technology at the forefront and furthers the economy which is of primary importance to China. 

Last line I agree with 'but I think, on the whole,  EU universities and research bodies have a lot of academic freedom. However they need to decide what money is best spent on. They don't have an endless pot of funds. Controversial, fashionable or unethical topics can affect a university's reputation so may not be a priority for funding for them In an ideal world yes we should allow for all research to take place but the fallout needs to be addressed.