Chinese-Forums

My Chinese slang, grammar Youtube channel

Bracesman

Hi there, I've been doing language exchange for a long time.

Some of my advanced level friends told me there are not many source they can find on Youtube, especially for slang.

I believe there are several slang lists which you can find on the internet, but you probably wouldn't know if we really use it or if it's outdated.

That's the reason I decided to create my own channel to share some of my favorite slang and something you would never learn in school with you. I also hope I can answer or explain some of your questions in the future, but I need some feedback to know weather my channel is helpful or not. There are Chinese caption and English, Japanese subtitles just in case.

Please let me know what you think and have fun!

Slang Playlist 

Grammar Playlist

• Like 2

Nice content in both channels, good work! I assume slang is largely regional, would you mind telling where are those words/expressions used? 

Got a couple of comments, since you asked. I find the background music very distracting and a bit annoying, and there are some added  sudden noises that make me jump in my seat. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would prefer just to listen to the speech without any added sounds or music.

Two: I think you  might be speaking a bit too fast, especially if the grammar videos are for an HSK3 level and most learners would need more time to read the subtitles. I know one can vary the speed in You Tube (not many people know this) but it would be better if you spoke slowly and added some short pauses in between sentences and paragraphs/sections.

• Like 1

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. For the background music, that's what I'm thinking about. I might get rid of the backing ground music in grammar lessons and try to adjust the volume and location of it  in the slang lessons. The reason I added background is because I think people would fall asleep when they only hear my voice for a while. I didn't mean to scare learners. :P Sorry about that. Finally, you can use the slang I introduced at least in China and Taiwan. 

I also find the music quite distracting. You probably won't notice it asa native speaker but it is quite a distraction for second language learners.

Speech is also quite fast. Probably you would have to be quite fluent to catch everything. In fact, you could do two types of videos. One for fairly fluent speakers, and another set of different slang for low to intermediate people like me where you speak slower and repeat some sentences.

I like the way you use your hands to try and help explanations. I think a lot of teaching videos try to talk about a word or phrase and the person in the video just sits there explaining. Adding some pictures into the video to help the explanation is good. Sometimes you can use a prop. A lot of work but it is very much more educational.

you might want to experiment with adding a short clip (20-30secs?) of native speakers talking (not necessarily yourself) and actually using the slang. That way somebody watching would get a little more experience of a hearing a different voice say the same word.

Thank you so much! I will cut the background music of #1 and #2 videos and upload it again soon.

Speed is another problem as well. To be honest, I decided to use my original speed when I came up with the idea of making my channel since the channel is mainly for advanced learners. One of the reasons I made HSK 3 videos is to see my friends reaction. When I made my first and second videos and shared them with my friends. One of my friends who already passed HSK 3 said she had hard time to understand the speech due to the speed. My another friend who has passed HSK 4 said he can understand it well. I knew the speed is too fast for lower intermediate learners. There is a tip you can probably solve this problem for now. You can slow down videos on Youtube to 0.75, 0.5, etc. although the sound might be weird. 

1 hour ago, Bracesman said:

You can slow down videos on Youtube to 0.75, 0.5, etc. although the sound might be weird

Yes. I really dislike slowing down because it changes the pitch of the speech. Makes it too wierd.